Tristar T-100, where have you been all my life...

Bfglowkey

Well I was walking about the monthly Gun Show and lucked out and got top dollar for my Glock 19 Gen 3 Cali compliant. While walking about I found 3 pistols that caught my eye, IWI Jericho 941 in 9mm, one in 45 ACP and the Tristar T-100 made by Chanik ( called the Chanik 55) The IWI is an Israeli based manufacturer that cloned the CZ 75 and put a little spin/flare in terms of body style ( looks like a Baby Desert Eagle ) and the Tristar is a clone of that. The IWI's were both stout steel frames and very smooth. Prices were in line with online. The Tristar was the black cerakote and brand new in the box. In the end I ended up with the Tristar for $289.00 out the door ( price wars between 2 tables and military discount) Seeing they were $325ish online and add the FFL and shipping...well it was a steal.

The Tristar is an aluminum alloy frame with steel slide. It has a very good feel and weight to it and since its based on the CZ 75 design the rails run the full length and are under the frame. It is roughly the same size as a Glock 19...maybe a smidge longer. The saftey is thumb driven and it is a hammer fired DA/SA pistol designed to be carried cocked and locked. No de-cocker unless you want to manually do it which is easy enough with the skeletal hammer design. The slide lock/release is easy to manipulate. The safety is a little stiff but should wear in with use. DA pull is pretty stout. Out of the box there is a smidge of grit so its not 100% smooth in DA but not unbearable. The SA pull is pretty good ( very reminiscent of a CZ 75 out of the box...the springs and internals pretty much look to be the same as CZ.) Very minor creep but then breaks nicely and reset is good as well. Standard 3 dot sights, white. What surprised me is how good this thing shoots. Recoil impulse is half of what my Glock 19 was and that was pretty tame. Using Federal Champion 115 FMJ ( Walmart special in the brass casing) the first 100 rounds were nothing short of spectacular! Standard procedure for me with new pistol is take it home, break it down and inspect/clean off factory gunk and then wipe down/polish feed ramp ( which didn't need it...was near mirror shine already) oil and reassemble. Loaded 5 rounds and set the target out to 7 yds. Slow fire and figure out where POA/POI is and what style of hold. Squeeze, bang! and sure enough the 6 oclock hold is perfect for this gun and this ammo combo. 4 more shots and I was hooked. Mag release needs to get worked out a bit but man was it fun taking this through the paces. Very easy to transition from target to target and double taps were close and easy to accomplish. I used 50 rds and performed the Dot Torture drill and scored a 49/50 for my first time on the pistol! That's a new best for me even with my APX which I am much more proficient with.( well I have the most time behind) I told myself only 100 rds today and grudgedly packed up my gear and headed home.
First impressions are very very good and I am looking forward to the next range trip and will see how some of the other drills play out. I had a guy make me a OWB holster at the show for it and its pretty solid. I will work the draw and holster over next few days and decide if it will be in the running for my carry piece. Now I have to refrain from getting the T-120 ( full size version) as a fun gun cause I don't need another range toy...the Canik SFx is filling that role more then nicely!

2x 15 rd Metgar mags. Rumor mill says CZ 75 mags work. Will rummage up some to try out. This may end up being one of those really fun over time guns that morph from the black plain Jane to some sweet titanium or chrome by the time I m done. I might go back tomorrow morning and pick up a big brother 120 if he still has any....it’s calling out to me

They were really popular while they were still being imported. You get trigger work and maybe fancy sights or grips and end up at the same price as a stock CZ.

I kind of wish I got one while they were still coming in.

I will let the trigger break in a little and see how it feels after 500 rounds. I think the hammer spring and longer firing pin is the best upgrade for reducing trigger pull both DA and SA to a small extent to begin with.

If it's anything like my Sar CZ style handgun, the safety will loosen up nicely after you shoot a modest number of rounds through it.

Nice Review. Long review.

Silver mane, I just picked up a hard chromed 941 f myself. I’m aware of 41 AE, what was the other barrel?

Back