Tripods

2nd hand

Keep ones eyes peeled at Habitat, goodwill, pawn shops, etc. Tripods are practically a dime a dozen.
Reduce reuse recycle. I got a Manfrotto with a fluid head for 10 dollars, heck I think the camera plates cost me 20.:)
That Manfrotto is a 500 dollar tripod for pro video, it is absolutely awesome for my spotting scope.
The tripod is THE most important ingredient for a good spotting scope, mine is a pleasure to use.

Over $600 for the one you linked? WHY? What makes this so special over a good camera tripod or similar?

That inverted would be handy, but it would be harder to pack. When they stick below or above the pack, they get hung up a lot. I would like a shorter length for hunting.

If 80% of your purpose is to shoot off, consider a bowl top and a QR clamp to reduce metal parts.

Last, remember, there is a balance point. Lightweight reduces stability. Heavy is hard to carry.

Bought thee two components for range bag:

- Oben BA-111 Single Lever Ball Head
- SLIK PRO 500DXS Short 16" Tripod Legs Black (613-501)

Compact, and absolutely solid as a rock.
Take a look at the reviews . . . .

well i got a cheap a$$ bog pod $200 version....it does everything i need...

yeah those bigger tube more expensive, heavier pods are nice.....i guess if i was using it for pro shooting every weekend maybe i would spring for one of the maybe better pods

maybe the better pods do things my cheap one doesnt....i use it in the spring,summer and the fall...sometimes in the winter.....been working very well for several years now

and now they have the carbon fiber version with a ball head...lol......i can buy a lot of reloading stuff with the money i saved....lol

but hey that is just a everyday guy that is cheap getting it done here...lol....YMMV

Over $600 for the one you linked? WHY? What makes this so special over a good camera tripod or similar?

I am both a photographer and a precision rifle shooter, and I have a fleet of tripods.

What makes rifle shooting tripods better? Less weight, more rigid, high weight rating. In most cases, you want a tripod (and head) that has a rating that is at least 8 times your rifle weight. The lever arm of the rifle is much more than a small footprint camera, even the heaviest cameras.

Carbon Fiber is expensive, a high load rated tripod that weighs half of an aluminum tripod is going to cost 3 times (or more) what an equally rated aluminum one will.

Add to that the quick lock and unlock legs, less sections (2 or 3 at most) vs a normal camera tripod that has lock unlocks that need more time and dexterity and usuall many more sections.

Even a good carbon fiber tripod that is smaller tube will suffer from buffeting in the wind, and even vibration.

For the OP, Two Vets are decent tripods, I have some of the larger Feisol that I like with 120 pound leveling heads. These are my prefered tripods though...and no, not associated with them, just a very happy customer.

https://coloradotripod.com/

I currently have a regular configuration Two Vets and I'm wanting a smaller one to fit in the car. I like the build quality.

Back