Triple7vsStandardPyro

NO,IT WILL NOT!! 777 is about 10% hotter than pyrodex and it is cleaner meaning your gun wont get gunged up as quick plus you only need hot water to clean.i use 777 and i love it.there are others on this forum that use it also and the ones that dont we are trying to convert them,mike,lol.just buggin.

:D Tried to get some yesterday but they still don't have it in yet Got another # of Goex fffg, 400 .454 Hornady swaged balls , 300 #1075 German caps.
They are going to call me when the 777 comes in. Mike

Will go buy some 777. Do you know what is typically the most accurate bullet in a Knight Bighorn? I think the twist is 1:28. I was thinking about powerbelt but don't know what weight to get?

I Use The Power Belt A Aero Tip.they Have A Lot Of Energy And Load Easy Every Time.great Bullet.and Deer Go No Where When Hit Right With Them.i Also Use 100gns Of 777 Under It.

Thanks, folks, . . .

I just became a full fledged BP guy tonight, . . . bought a NEF .50, . . . store clerk suggested 777 and some Hornady 240 gr HP's. After reading your posts, it sounds like I got the better of the powders out there.

I was also questioning 50 or 100 grains, . . . MPP1423 cured that question.

Throw any tips my way you can think of, . . . gun deer season starts here in a little over a week, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

In my TC Renegade with a Green Mountain target barrel, I've always used black powder, then a couple years ago the shop I got it at closed, so I bought Pyrodex. I had good results except I didnt get that nice sulpher cloud. I shot a match and a lot of the competitors were using 777. So this year I bought some 777 ($24 ouch!) and every round without exception is a hangfire. I would immediatly load a BP or Pyrodex and no problem, go back to 777 and hangfire. I went and bought a Knight hot nipple and the same thing... maybe I got a bad bottle. I shot a couple matches this year and the guys are using American Pioneer powder, saying it a big improvment over 777, I guess I'm always behind, just give me real black powder, I clean when I get done shooting anyways.

Dwight55,100 Grns Is A Good Load,thats What I Use Under A 245 Grn Power Belt Areo Tip.no Problems!

Ken O,i'd Say You Had A Bad Bottle!i And My Buddies All Use 777 And Only One Time Was There A Problem And It Was The Pellets Which My Buddy Got A Bad Batch.i Had Him Try My Loose Powder And No More Problems.i Guess That Happens From Time To Time.

Update: took the NEF .50 out back yesterday to check how close the store clerk "bore sighted" my rifle. Not bad if you shoot at about 10 feet. Pretty lousy after that:mad:

The 777 pellets were great, . . . it went boom when it was supposed to go boom and click when it was supposed to go click. :D Used two pellets for each shot, . . . wound up quitting at 50 yards because we had some other things more pressing.

My question to you long time BP shooters, . . . what kind of drop do you get out of a 240 grain load similar to mine over say 100 yds, . . . or 150 yds? Or is there a chart out there in cyberspace that will give me some relative info that I can count on?

Thanks, one and all.

May God bless,
Dwight

Dwight,

Ballistics say that if you know how fast the ball leaves the barrel, you can calculate what will happen 100, 200, 500 yds downrange.

If you cannot say just how fast it leaves the barrel, shot in the dark.

Chrony's go as little as 90 bucks, nowadays.

Cheers,

George

Back