Triple Seven FFg

Pisa

Hello all, can this be used in a revolver? I have a 1858 .36 Remington and I'm having a hell of a time trying to find either FFFg or Pyrodex P in my state. Thanks!

Order it online from Cabelas. The FFg would be better suited to maybe a .44 but I would like the FFFg for a .36 myself. It probably would work OK and I don't think it would be a safety issue, just may not get a good burn or velocity.

Yeah, go ahead and use it.

At one time or another I've managed to forget just about everything I needed to go to the range, including my gun keys. Forgetting which flask has which powder, or better yet forgetting the powder altogether, has often resulted in me stopping by the local hardware and buying yet another container of something, anything, so I don't have to turn back home. I have used FFg 777 in both .44 and .36 cal revolvers several times with no discernible ill effects. Except perhaps a little bit of accuracy. Hard to tell if that was the powder or me, though.

It won't hurt the gun (I assume you are not using max, full chamber loads) but your ego may feel a pinch if you are into high scores.

But marcseatac has a good point - do the mail order thing and get the right stuff for the long term.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I already tried ordering from Cabelas and they won't ship it to my state...damn this state!! Looks like I'll be taking a road trip to get the FFFg. I have plenty of Pyrodex R/S on hand, can that be used too? I'm new to BP pistols, I have .50 cal rifle for hunting. I just can't believe that I called EVERY gun store and no one had it. All they had was R/S and FFg.

Real black powder is classified by BATFE (the "feds") as an explosive. There are restrictions on production, transportation and storage of it. Most states have additional regulations on storage and transportation. The vast majority of us shooters are unaffected by these regulations as they involve bulk amounts - 50 lbs or more. The biggest impact on us is that insurance companies want more $$$ from a retailer if they keep it on the premises - that's the reason you can't find it in your local area.

Substitute black powders, such as Pyrodex, American Pioneer and 777, are chemically different and are not classified as explosives, thus they are more readily available.

Traveling interstate with real black powder is an issue if you are moving bulk amounts, depending on state laws. The definition of bulk amount varies from state to state. Your state transportation department should be able to advise you on what the rules are. Also, check the state laws on storage of explosives, usually specified in the construction codes, if you plan on storing more than about 5 pounds. Since you are not a commercial carrier (I assume) there should be no federal issue with crossing state lines.

Pyrodex RS will also work in your revolver, again with possible accuracy effects. Not optimum, but usable.

Last edited:
Back