Triple 7 question

Spade Cooley

I found a close out on 777 at Wal-Mart today, $11 a jar. I bought the two remaining jars of 2f. Is it used just like black powder? I've seen others using it in muzzle loaders but thought it was primarily for cartridge pistols. I know nothing about it. If I'm using 70 grains of 2f black powder as an accuracy load in my Lyman Great Plains rifle, would 70 grains of 777 be a similar safe load? I have no experience with this powder. Help!

I've never used it but it's hotter than bp or the other subs. It's recommended to cut it 10% from what you normally use.

Reduce your 777 loads by a minimum of 10% from your black powder loads. Aim for a round number between 10 and 15% down. Thus 70 gr FFg Goex would mean .85 * 70 = 59.5, or 60 gr FFg 777.

As stated, it is hotter and can even be felt. As mykeal's reply states, you need to download especially on most if not all, traditionals. Don't be afraid to use it. You might want to read the lable on the container. It is also listed in the Hodgen manual. I have seen warnings in some traditional manuals as to it's use. Go to the Lyman website and look at the Q&A section. Lyman will advise you as to it's use. They are good people to work with. Be safe !!

777 was erratic for me in a larger caliber round ball rifle. It doesn't like to be compressed like Pyrodex, quite the opposite. But my .36 rifles do like it better, and I found that I could shoot quite a few shoots without much residue build-up. But the residue is a little sticky, and some solvents seem to work better than others removing it. I found that Hoppe's Number 9 Plus Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lube worked to dissolve it, and TC has the relatively new "777 Solvent" designed just for dissolving it.

My GPR .54 likes Triple 7! Three shots at 60yds using 100gr Triple 7, CCI #11, Speer .535" ball with a T/C .018" pillow ticking patch. I can do a lot of shooting between cleanings. It's just a little tougher to light.

P1010036_1.JPG

CraigC

Wow, proof is in the pudding and great shooting especially with your 100gr. load. Also thanks for your shot-string data. Be safe

Last edited:
i tried some of the 777 pellets. they clean up pretty easily. plain ole hot water maybe 3 cups worth, pour it down the barrel from the breach end.(its an inline model). ran a few dry patches and the bronze brush through . and it was done in a few minutes. light coating or wonderlube 1000 in the bore.

Hot soapy water works fine but if you finally want to get away from it and you certainly can, clean with mineral sprits. With 777, you don't have to fight the sulphur.

Yesterday I went back to Wal-Mart and they had a new pile of Triple 7 put out so I couldn't resist buying a couple of more pounds. At $11 a jar, is that a good deal?

Back