Trip to Washington DC with or without CC ?

vladan

I will be driving to Washington DC next month for a couple days. I am Florida CCW licence holder and want to know if I can have my weapon with me. I know that DC doesn't honor Florida CCW but how it is with possession of the weapon in my vehicle? Thank you

This belongs in the Law section, I'll pop it up for the mods.

I'm not sure about storing the handgun in your car while you're there, I know it doesn't fly in Chicago right now, I personally advise against it.

simple explanation : Interstate transport laws that allow transporting a firearm only apply if you are allowed to posses the handgun at the destination. Since you are not allowed to have one in DC you would be violating the law.

I am sure someone will come along with a better more in depth explanation.

Are you going to actually be staying in DC or in a nearby area (Virginia or Maryland)? If you're not actually staying in DC, you might be OK to take your handgun with you so long as it's legal to posses where you're actually staying (if not in DC) and you leave it there when traveling into DC.

Unfortunatelly I will be staying in DC for day or two ( overnight for sure ).
So far I found this:
Question: How should I transport my firearm in a state I cannot legally carry in?
Answer: When entering a state you cannot legally carry in, if you unload the firearm,
enclose it either in a box or pistol rug and put it in your trunk, you will be legal. Some states
require that you keep the ammo separate from the firearm. If you have a vehicle that does not
have a trunk, put the unloaded firearm in a “Locked Box” and put it behind the seat in a
pickup or all the way in the back of an SUV. See United States Title 18 Part
I Chapter
§ 926A on the Interstate Transportation of Firearms. Some states have specific laws about
transporting firearms. To find info about the laws for a given state click on the state on the
map on the main page and that states page will open with additional info for that state.

and this : http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/washingtondc-ccw-state-laws.php

And this from NRA website :
WASHINGTON, D.C.--Transportation of firearms through the city is not permitted unless the travel is to or from a lawful recreational firearm-related activity. Firearms transported for this purpose should be carried in accordance with the general rule.

So I guess I'll be leaving my steel home. The thing is that I don't really worry about the DC, but I'll be on the road for a quite few miles.

Those laws only apply as you pass through states on your way to a destination where you may legally possess the handgun.

Since your destination is DC where you may not legally possess the handgun the safe passage laws do not apply.

If you take your handgun to DC you will be breaking the law regardless of how you store it/carry it/transport it.

Can't tell you about the gun laws but I can tell you that most of the shootings in DC occur in the SE quadrant. Stay out of that part of DC.

You need to stay just across the river in Fairfax,

then you will be real near the NRA's firearms museum.

You don't want to be driving around in DC anyway.... just take the metro into town and around.

Can't tell you about the gun laws but I can tell you that most of the shootings in DC occur in the SE quadrant. Stay out of that part of DC.

NE is not much better.
SW is extremely small (Arlington County,Virginia used to be most of SW) but some parts outside the federal areas are a little rough.

The real dividing line once you move away from the mall is Rock Creek Park.
To the west is benign, to the east is not so nice.

No guns or ammunition (not even a single round) in DC.

They LOVE to gig people and charge them, so do NOT give them an opportunity.

Virginia is actually more convenient than many parts of DC to stay in, and you gun is perfectly legal here.

You could lock it up in the room safe or front desk safe at your hotel.

Thank you guys. I am going there to renew my passport and since I'll be there I wanna visit National archives, Smithsonians, ... well National Mall ...
so that suggestion to get hotel in Virginia sounds pretty good, I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Gosh, DC is so small city wise it makes no sense to stay inside the city.

Between the high hotel rates, extra taxes, crazy laws and so forth it makes more sense to stay in Virginia and cross a bridge everyday you need to be there.

I'm with MTT TL. Not to mention the crime! :eek:

Last time I was in DC I observed a cocaine bust outside the Smithsonian Museum of American History. Two plain clothed agents or officers cuffed a guy coming out the door. They went to their vehicle and opened up a duffle bag filled with kilos of cocaine on the hood. Right there on the street! :p

I am going there to renew my passport

You do know it costs extra to show up in person and renew?

The only real reason to traipse down to the passport office is if you need it for an imminent trip, and mailing it in can still be faster.

You do know it costs extra to show up in person and renew?

The only real reason to traipse down to the passport office is if you need it for an imminent trip, and mailing it in can still be faster.

This is my EU passport, since Czech republic is now part of EU my new passport have to be EU passport and I have to be there in person to take biometrics

I think you figured it out...

it's easy to get on the metro from many of the good hotels in Fairfax or Alexandria.... i think the Hilton (could be Hyatt) over in Alexandra has a free shuttle to the metro station.....

Most of the stuff you want to see in DC is all around the mall area and you just walk from one place to the other.

I've open carried in the hotel in Alexandria and no body, well most folks, didn't even bat an eye.

I was working for a week in D.C. both times I went and except for going to and coming back had no need to carry. There were more folks with guns watching me work than you can count... if a bad thing happened and I actually lived.... I'd just try and hunker down.... for a while there I was behind 3 sets of 1ft thick steel double doors that would shut with hydraulic rams at the press of a button somewhere else...

enjoy D.C. it's beautiful this time of year, even if the folks in charge are more like the rulers of a third world country.

Back