Trip to AirForce Academy-ok to CCW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USNRet93

Wife needs her ID card renewed...plus going to make a pass through Exchange, look at their gun department....is it ‘legal’ for me to concealed carry on Academy grounds?

I am guessing it would be the same as a military base in that regard. As a retired navy vet, can you carry on other bases? On the other hand, does state law say anything about carry on college campuses?

I am guessing it would be the same as a military base in that regard. As a retired navy vet, can you carry on other bases? On the other hand, does state law say anything about carry on college campuses?
Donno, didn’t have my CCWP last time I was on a military base, which was 5-6 years ago.

Before Obama, all you had to do on Fort Bragg was keep your ammo separate from your gun till you got to the range or your house if you lived on the base. Since Obama (Fort Hood incident), you have to register your firearm on the base and have basically a permission slip for the gun/guns. CCW has never been recognized on the bases... even for retirees. There are exceptions to certain units but it is not advertised. My friends that are LAPD, NYPD are not allowed to carry on the base and have to register their guns. Friends in the Fed agencies can. In my experience, Navy and the Marine Corps have always been stricter.

I'd be calling ahead of time. You are not even allowed to leave a gun in your car unattended on some bases.

Also, AR pistols are not allowed on the bases even if you live on the base. And every base has their own rules that can be different from others.

Gun and ammo separate and in locked cases when you go through the gate and leave it all in the car when you conduct business. All of the buildings will be posted with a "no firearms allowed" sign. But its probably a better idea to just not carry that day.

The NOAA center in Boulder has a DEERS ID card facility, you just have to schedule online.

Before Obama, all you had to do on Fort Bragg was keep your ammo separate from your gun till you got to the range or your house if you lived on the base. Since Obama (Fort Hood incident), you have to register your firearm on the base and have basically a permission slip for the gun/guns. CCW has never been recognized on the bases... even for retirees. There are exceptions to certain units but it is not advertised. My friends that are LAPD, NYPD are not allowed to carry on the base and have to register their guns. Friends in the Fed agencies can. In my experience, Navy and the Marine Corps have always been stricter.

I'd be calling ahead of time. You are not even allowed to leave a gun in your car unattended on some bases.

Also, AR pistols are not allowed on the bases even if you live on the base. And every base has their own rules that can be different from others.
This is not true. Ft. Bragg had gun registration when I was stationed there back in 1992.

This is not true. Ft. Bragg had gun registration when I was stationed there back in 1992.
Indeed.
Such was the case several years before I joined, through the signing of my DD-214.

The rules didn't change for us, even post-Ft. Hood.
Chair Force proud, I guess...

I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk and Marlin 882 locked up in the base armory (and "registered" to me) for several years, while I was in base housing. When I went to reclaim them, they claimed to NOT have them. A visit to my commanding officer, followed by a visit by my commander to their commander, and me providing photographic evidence that "yes, that was my Schtuff", finally resulted in return of my firearms.

Even daily use on the range was a nightmare, after that.

Pain in the ass, even for active duty.
Don't even try it, as a civilian. (Yes, retired military counts as being a civilian.)

I was there from 89-92 and remember that. But during my 3rd time at Bragg, you no longer had to register any firearms. I registered my last gun in 2002, when I went to register one again in 2004, the MPs told me they don't do that anymore and all you had to do was keep the ammo separate and out of reach when you travel on the base. Then after the Fort Hood shooting things went back to the way they were. Some bases add in additional rules like hard cases. Now, you have to pull over to the security gate building and register firearms before even going on the base and you have to have that sheet with you every time and whatever gun you have needs to be on that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back