Trimming pistol brass

swehrman

How many of you trim your pistol brass? More specifically pistol brass that headspaces on the case mouth. My thinking is that people who shoot semi-auto pistols and have progressive presses don't spend too much time trimming brass. I'm just curious.

loading 9mm, 45, 40 cases I have never trimmed the cases. At my gun club I have never heard of anyone trimming this type pistol brass. In loading for revolver I occasionally trim the brass to get better roll crimps.

You don't get the stretch in straight-wall cases that you get in bottle-necks.

My .45ACP stuff usually splits before any stretching could happen, anyway...

I have reloaded both rifle and pistol since 1967 and NEVER trimmed a straight wall pistol case. These cases tend to shorten up as they are worked rather than stretch.

I would have to say that my revolver reloading experience is no too extensive. Probably less than 10,000 rounds. So perhaps in revolvers......(but I think not!)

In locked breech autos, no need to trim brass, in my opinion.

------------------
Ni ellegimit carborundum esse!

Yours In Marksmanship
http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished

michael

[This message has been edited by Michael Carlin (edited 01-17-99).]

To quote a locally noted pistolsmith that built a 1911 for me. "Don't waste time trimming brass for accuracty sake. If you want ultimate accuracy with reloads, weigh the bullets, cases, and powder charges individually - then get them as close to the same as possible."

For straight-wall autos, the time involved is most economically spent miking a sample of at least 30 resized cases to establish the range of lengths. Trim to max or midway between max and "trim-to" lengths, only those which are too long.

Betcha won't find any...

Then sort your brass into the shorter half, and the longer half. Longer brass tends to give slightly tighter groups, according to some sources. More consistent ignition from less flopping around under the firing pin strike or something like that. Use the long brass for your 50-plus yard work.

For revolvers, however, I trim after the first reload, then about every five thereafter. Do the same for bottleneck rifle I'm crimping into a channelure.

Enjoy!
Cheapo

Back