Trijicon HD (SIG P226) vs SIG Combat Factory Sights (SIG P229)

Howdy,

My two main carry guns are a P226 and a P229. I've never taken them to the range at the same time. I've never taken them to a class at the same time. So I've never noticed this...

My P229 with the factory night sights that are called "combat" sights, they're at point of aim. Which is my preference. Put the dot from the front sight on my target, squeeze the trigger, and the bullet goes there each and every time. DA or SA, it goes there.

My P226 with the Trijicon HD's I put on there (the sights I run on every Glock I have or will ever own) you need to put the top of the front sight under the target and squeeze the trigger. That's where the shot goes. DA or SA, it goes there.

So, I finally figured out I naturally do POI.. so when I shot the P229 and went the P226 next I noticed it.

I guess when I'm alone I don't make a conscious effort to hold the P226 on POI and just adjust as I go subconsciously.

Now my question/statement... if I prefer the factory sights hold but the Trijicon HD's visibility and functionality (90 degree cut in the rear sight for one handed manipulations), what do I do with my life?!

Taller front sight is what you want. Call Trijicon and tell them what the issue is and they will recommend a taller front sight about 0.010" which will change the POI to POA and give you a Sig factory sight picture.

How far from POA is the POI if you shoot the p226 the way you shoot the p229?

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but the difference between using one hold over the other should be pretty slim at typical handgun ranges.

Gosh WVsig-way to stifle comments! I was all set for 10's of posts saying 'do you mean...' and 'no not that I mean' and the ever popular 'just what do you mean?' and then with one illustration and one sentence a three day tirade of sights conversations is brought up short!

Seriously, nice job reading/understanding and posting a picture so the rest of us can much more easily understand the conversation.

I much prefer sight picture #2. Most (95%+) of the time the physical structure of the sights are visible and should be used. Only in low light, where there is enough light to ID the target, but not enough to see the sights do the night sight dots even come into play. In such conditions the small difference in POA/POI will not matter.

What is the actual difference...maybe 1" at 7 yards? Close enough for Govt work;)

Back