Trigger weight

Might as well get ready, folks are liable to start asking you the "For what purpose" questions.

For hunting and casual range shooting, I personally like 5-6lbs. For bench shooting and really trying to wring accuracy out of more match type rifles, I like 2.5lbs on semi autos, and around 1.5 or so on match bolt action rifles.

I used to try for about 3 lbs on my hunting bolt guns. But as time goes on I'm getting comfortable with closer to 2 or 2 1/2. My AR's are 4-5 lbs with one at about 3 lbs. My lever guns are about 5-6 which is a big handicap IMO.

My hunting rifles are all set at 2.5lbs. Target rifles around 1lb. My semis mostly have geiselle ssae with whatever they come from the factory i want to say thats 3lb on the second stage.

Around 3 pounds is a great start. Aftermarket triggers can take a 100 year old rifle and make it feel like it was made yesterday. My go to deer hunting rifle is a M1917 followed by Type 38 Arisaka and 98 Mauser with 3 pound timney triggers.

My long range AR also has a 3 pound trigger.

Have installed 3 Timneys in my Rems. 2-700s and 1-model 7. All are set at 2-1/2lbs. Couldn't set the original triggers as I didn't want to buy a trigger weight measure and considered selling them or likely not. I like all my Timneys. So smooth with no travel. Sear break is super clean crisp and "right there."

Might as well get ready, folks are liable to start asking you the "For what purpose" questions.

Exactly ..... If you're knowledgeable enough to ask the question and think those you ask are as well . Then you know there are multiple weights that will be needed .

Hunting bolt gun no less then 3lbs but prefer 4lbs

Target bolt action 1.5lbs maybe 1lb

Target AR ... two stage 4lbs total 2.5 & 1.5

HD/SD semi 4 to 5lbs single stage

I stick to 3 pounds. I am militant about trigger discipline with firearms of all types. It is enough that I can rest my finger on it before breaking the shot and still have to squeeze, but not so much that I have to really give it a yank to get it to go BANG!

Just my $0.02

3-3.5lbs is as light as the average person should go for any gun seeing field use. Nor would I go any lighter on any centerfire semi auto.

Pull weight alone is not the most important factor for good shooting, and a good trigger with a heavier pull weight can be better than a poor trigger with a lighter pull weight.

the main reason a hunting gun should have at least a 3lb pull is simply safety. Another is accuracy, and in this case I'm talking about hunting accuracy and putting the shot (first shot especially) where you want it to go. In every kind of weather you're going to be shooting in.

Gloves/cold stiff fingers decrease your sensitivity and too light a trigger is a really BAD idea if those are the conditions you're in. A very light trigger can be fine at the range or in the varmint field in August and a very dangerous thing in the deer woods in November.

When its about freezing (or colder) and you've been out in those temps for hours, you could fire a too light trigger before you're even fully aware your finger is on it.

And the same also applies at any temp for a gun that might need to be used in a hurry. A heavier trigger wil mean the gun goes off when you are ready and not before then.
And a too light trigger on a semi auto could result in the gun being "jarred off" and firing simply from the the action closing. Not a good thing.

3lbs has been the accepted standard for a light, safe trigger for generations, and I think its a good place to be. I have a couple guns with lighter triggers, they are exellent special purpose rigs. For general use, and any kind of all weather hunting, 3lbs or more is the way to go as far as pull weight is concerned.

2-1/2 on a hunting rifle(bolt gun) or 22(any kind), can live with 3 to 3-1/2. My ARs have 4-1/2 2 stage and are ok.

Hunting rifles about 2-2.5lb.
Match rifle i got worked down to a heavy 8oz.
Several i shoot matches with have theirs at 2-4oz.

From 1.5 oz through 3.6 lbs.

That said, I built a 0-600yd relatively normal hunting rifle. I put a 2 lb trigger in it. IME with this rifle, it is a bit light in the field and a bit heavy on the range. It is definitely safe and heavy enough that I have to actually pull it.

My latest long range rifle sits happily at 1 lb. I can see raising it to 1.5lb-2.0lb for field use.

My dangerous game rifle is setup for short range. I see no need to lighten below 3lbs. I actually increased the pull weight after getting it back from the smith.

Hunting: 5 lbs

AR: Not sure, I had a RRA Chrome two stage trigger that was ideal. 3.5 to 5 lb dependence on which trigger. Felt more like 2.5 lb, sweet let off.

Target: 6 oz to 1 lb (be ready for a let off if your attention wanders an iota)

I believe it also depends on how much practice you have with whatever rifle and trigger pull you stick with, I like my 2.5 lb pull triggers on my hunting rifles but I stand hunt and I am the sole user of my rifles, give a light trigger to someone not expecting it and it could be a disaster.

Most of my rifles run 2.5 to 3.5 pounds but one rifle, an FN Mauser custom has a 1.5 pound trigger and I really like hunting with that one. It's chambered to the 30-06 and I took an elk with it about 5 o6 years ago. It was my back up rifle for my .35 Whelen. The scope on the Whelen decided to lose the cross hair. The light trigger was no problem at 14 above zero during the hunt.
Paul B.

I like 2.5lbs on my hunting rifles. I have few tight neck rifles and those have 2oz trigger. My Rem varmint rifles have Jewell BR 1.5/3oz trigger.

My semis mostly have geiselle ssae with whatever they come from the factory i want to say thats 3lb on the second stage.

I run these on my rifles as well. According to Geiselle,

1st STAGE WEIGHT RANGE: 2.0 - 2.5 lbs.
2nd STAGE WEIGHT RANGE: 0.9 - 1.3 lbs.

I used to really dislike 2 stage triggers (what is better than a really crisp/tuned 1 stage trigger?) and got a rifle with one because I wanted to get into longer range shooting and found that I really liked using a 2 stage trigger. Now, all my ARs that I regularly shoot have them.

Back