Trigger stop on S&W 586

tranders

Just got a 586 and took it apart and noticed a part I had never noticed on any other of my S&W revolvers... a trigger stop. It's a little oblong piece that is held with a tiny screw and fits in the slot of the trigger.
Any info on when this part appeared in Smith revolvers?

Thanks!

Let Google be your friend. S&W eliminated the stop screw on the 586 -6 if I remember correctly when they started to use MIM parts

Howdy

The trigger stop was limited to revolvers with adjustable target sights. As far as I can tell, it was first instituted with the K-32 and K-38 Models in 1946. I would have expected the Registered Magnums to have one back in 1935, but perhaps S&W had not dreamt it up yet. If I had a Registered Magnum I could check, maybe someday. I have a couple of K-38s built in 1950 and 1958, they both have the trigger stop. I have a couple of K-22s from the 1930s, they do not have the trigger stop, but one made in 1950 does. So it would appear to me that the trigger stop first showed up in 1946 with the K-32 and K-38,and the K-22 followed at about the same time.

Here is a photo of the trigger stop in a Model 17-3 made in 1975. The stop is adjusted by loosening the screw. Care must be taken so as not to move it too far forward or the trigger will not move back enough to release the hammer. Trust me on this. Generally speaking, it was adjusted properly at the factory.

triggerstop_zps7c7ae6c7.jpg

Last edited:
RM's did not have them. They came out way later. And, for duty guns, it was recommended that they be removed so they couldn't loosen up and block the trigger.

A much better trigger stop is to fit a steel rod inside the trigger return spring. It's a pain to get it set up, but works and can't jam the action.

Here's the lock work of an RM.

RM.jpg

Back