Trigger Shoes....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Got asked about these by E mail from another BB, I had mentioned putting one on my 870 TB claycruncher.So, here it is....

A trigger shoe is a small device that clamps onto the trigger and widens the contact area. Most attach with setscrews, some smiths use a bit of lite Loctite to secure them.

Most shotgun triggers are too heavy for best work. A slap trigger for wingshooting should not run over 6 lbs, and lighter is better. A slug shooter/"Serious" shotgun trigger should run 3-4 lbs, IMO.

A trigger shoe will not make the pull lighter, but the greater contact surface makes it FEEL lighter, and better control and a cleaner sear release results.

Caveats:

First, not a fix for a heavy,gritty trigger with lots of creep. It's an improvement for a clean but heavy trigger.

Second,whatever shoe you put on your trigger should NEVER extend to the limits of the trigger guard,for reasons I hope and pray are obvious.

Third, not everyone likes them. Back when I was doing lots of serious handgunning, I liked wide triggers with serrations on S/A autos, and narrow, smooth triggers for D/A work with revolvers.Since I tend to use just the fingertip even when "Slapping" the trigger in fast shotgun work, I favor the shoe. Others' results may differ.

Fourth, it's no panacea for sloppy technique. IMO, folks with good trigger control will reap the most benefit from a shoe, tho those of us with so-so control will still get a little advantage.Bad technique still means bad results.

Finally, at less than $20 for most trigger shoes, this may be the most economical way to enhance your shooting results.

HTH....

Definitely stress Dave's point on the trigger shoe not extending beyond the trigger guard. Last winter a trap shooter at my local club inadvertently put a load of 7-1/2 into the back of the trap house as he was closed his gun. He was shooting a Winchester Model 12 which does not have a trigger disconnector. He believes the trigger shoe got caught in his coat, held the trigger back and caused the gun to fire when it was closed. Another reminder about always keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Another suggestion is lock-tighting the trigger shoe to prevent it from working loose while shooting. This does makes the arrangement less convenient to remove however.

I've used trigger shoes a couple of times and don't like them. I'd rather put the money into a good trigger job.

All that is true, Paul, but...

Not all actions are easily accessible for a trigger job. Consider the H&R/NEF singles, they put in those pins with a 20 ton Hydraulic press.And a bad trigger makes more difference on a lighter gun. The one on the TB makes a reasonably clean 5-6 lb trigger feel much lighter,and it breaks beautifully.

Instead of Loctite, I dab a bit of clear nail polish on the setscrew to keep it from loosening. A few second's work with a pin, and it's ready to remove.

Lessee, out of maybe 12 long arms here, one has a shoe.Both my 10-22 and Model 94 MIGHT benefit from same, tho I'm not all afever to find out. Obviously, I do not regard them as essential, just a nice addon,sometimes.

I was just posting this thread to educate folks,and since this thread has gotten 17 views in two hours, folks are interested....

Erick, I've heard that for decades, but I've never, ever, heard of a verified incident where a trigger shoe was the cause of losing in an A/S scenario.Nor have I heard of any properly sized and installed shoe coming loose and tying up a firearm.

At the same time, none of my "Serious" guns have them. One or two GMs did in the past, no incidents to report there.

But,this is my trap gun. It's probably the last gun(maybe the 10/22) I'd use when the chips were down. Way too long and that Morgan adjustable pad would make it hard to mount quickly, and impossible for left hand work.

Since I'm a devout fan of the KISS Principle, I do not want any shoes on guns that may be lifesaving tools. Toys are different...

Back