Trigger shoe

Greeting's Gunner's Mate,

I have a Tyler trigger shoe for a Smith N' Wesson vintage
model 60; however I'm not sure this company is still in
business?

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Be very careful with a trigger shoe. I would highly recommend getting a wider trigger fitted to the gun. This is especially important in a carry gun. A trigger shoe can actually be wider than the trigger guard on the gun and that is unsafe and can result in an unintentional discharge.

Trigger shoes are a remnant of the revolver's heyday in bullseye competition. They spread the finger pad pressure on the trigger over a wider area, and give more trigger dontrol. They are meant as an improvement for precision shooting. Trigger shoes are (and have been) a dangerous accessory on holstered guns. Back before the onslaught of liability lawsuits, Bianchi printed warnings against their use in their catalogs, and warned that their holsters were NOT designed for use with guns with trigger shoes. In 54 years of shooting, I have known one yahoo, and heard second-hand of another, who "rearranged" their anatomy by jamming a shoed revolver into a holster. The one I knew personally did it on a Bianchi 5BHL, (open trigger guard) apparently catching the edge of the TS on the edge of the suede lining. On today's politically correct rigs with close-moulded trigger guard coverage, they are an accident demanding its' chance to happen. On a range gun, kept in a case and never holstered, they serve their original purpose well.

Agree....shoe for target: Not for carry.

Also, Murphy is always vigilant....shoe can come loose. Loctite em on but why bother.

Sam

Trigger shoes were not exclusive to revolvers; they were/are made for some autos as well, notably the Model 1911 type.

Jim

In addition to the safety concerns, another reason for avoiding trigger shoes (or wider target triggers) for revolvers is that they can REDUCE accuracy in double-action shooting for many people. The wider trigger has a tendency to make you pull your shots low and to the side for DA. Several experts (Bill Jordan, Jerry Miculek, and a few others) prefer/recommend a normal narrow trigger that has a smooth face (no grooves or checkering) and rounded edges for double-action shooting. Just as a reminder, Jerry Miculek holds a couple of worlds records for fast-shooting double-action revolvers (even though he used infamous S&W's) including 8 shots on one target in 1.00 seconds. He also put two shots each into four targets (8 shots total) in 1.06 seconds.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/misc/records.html

I had installed a target trigger on a Ruger Security Six years ago. It did help my single-action shooting, but definitely hurt my double-action shooting.

Since a revolver (or any DAO semi-auto) that is used as a duty weapon or for CCW will almost always be shot in double-action mode, it's best to stay with the normal, smooth trigger..........and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for you concern

Thanks everyone for your replies. My reason for a trigger shoe is arthritis in my dominate hand. I'm aware of the dangers of holstering a gun with a trigger shoe installed. Here's what I plan to do; smooth and polish the face of the shoe with a dremel, install the shoe and make sure that it has adequate clearance, grind the sides of the shoe so that it is within the limits of the trigger guard, spot solder the shoe to the trigger.
All of this is done with the trigger out of the gun. A small torch and a heat sink material such as wet sand should keep the trigger cool enough so that it does not lose temper.

And last but not least, always put on steel toed shoes before holstering a weapon so modified.:D :

Back