Trigger question: what is "stacking" and "creep"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipper

I have a Walther P99, and I've read a number of posts where people say that the trigger on this gun "stacks" and has a lot of "creep". Being a new shooter, the trigger feels fine to me, but I'd like to know what these terms mean. Can a gunsmith correct these apparently undesirable characteristics?

Thanks

"Stack" refers to the trigger pull getting heavier as it nears the end of its travel.

"Creep" is the distance the trigger must travel before releasing the sear.

Both can be corrected/reduced.

HTH.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited November 23, 1999).]

As Coinneach said, 'creep' is the distance the trigger travels before the hammer is released. But it starts once the sear is first engaged. The free play in the trigger before engaging the sear is 'take-up' or 'slack'.

If you have a double action/single action handgun and cock the hammer back, you can examine the differences real easy. The free play when you first pull the trigger is the 'slack'. Once you feel resistance you have engaged the sear. The amount of travel from this point on until the hammer is released is 'creep'. Ideally, you want no or almost no creep. 'Stacking' is easier to experience if the gun is in double action. (That is, if your gun has any 'stacking' characteristics.) Most people don't like 'stacking' but a few do as it allows them to better gage just about when the gun is about to go off when they squeeze the trigger slowly.

- Ron V.

------------------

Gee, I thought 'stacking' was what you did with firewood and "creep" was the guy that did not pay you for "stacking". LOL

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Stacking can best be seen in revolvers, but most DA and DA type auto pistols have some as well. Creep usually refers not just to a long sear engagement, but to an uneven motion caused by a rough sear notch.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back