Trigger Question - CZ

Hays

I'm on the verge of buying a CZ 75D PCR. There is a very favorable write-up for this pistol in the Dec. 2000 issue of Soldier of Fortune. The author's only criticism concerned the SA trigger. He states, "The single-action pull weight was only 3.75 pounds, but exhibited a considerable amount of creep."

If this is accurate, can a good smith correct it, or will it be something you have to get used to? Thanks for you help.

Hays,

Compared to a tuned 1911 yes, there is a considerable amount of creep in the trigger. In actually shooting the pisol, you probably won't notice it much if you are used to other DA/SA pistols. It's better than my Taurus PT-92 and Beretta Cougar, and about the same as my HK USP which costs a -lot- more.

Try dry firing one in a local shop. You'll probably like it. My CZs have become my favority pistols to shoot in very little time.

A good 'smith may be able to fix it up nicely. I honestly don't know. I like mine the way they are. Bonus is that the more you shoot them the better they seem to get.

Joe/Ga

Its nothing unusual, its just that the double action pull is so good it leaves you wanting more when firing in single action.

I would second that the trigger gets better with use. I have the compact model. These are great guns for those of us who use the 1911 a lot, because the safety works in the same direction.

They sure are accurate.

I have a PCR

Creep shmeep If you have fired a Sig you will notice the same thing Buy the gun shoot the heck out of it. It works just like any other DA/SA gun. The trigger does smooth out with use. It really isnt a big deal. SOF just need something bad to say about the gun.

If, after use, it bothers you, a competent gunsmith can make it very smooth.

My CZ-75B's single action trigger, after tuning ($35) was as crisp as a good 1911. No creep. Period.

My CZ-85 Combat needs a bit more work, but the smith who did the trigger job on it (same guy as above) will refine it for nothing--he wants satisfied customers.

I looked at a CZ75SA and 75B this week at a local gun shop. I thought of using one for IDPA ESP. The sear/hammer arrangement is similar to my BHP. They both had a lot of sear engagement surface. Most of the creep could be removed by reducing the hammer hook height. I did not see an easy cure for the excess trigger travel though. The SA model offered no improvement over the SA/DA model in the SA mode. I actually like the 75B trigger better.

Yes, a good smith can deliver a crisp, clean trigger on a CZ with no problem.

As for the creep, factory sear engagement is .025" which can be reset to .015" for approx 4 lbs of pull and no creep. You can cut it as low as .012" before you begin to get into safety issues. I got those numbers from the CZ shop a few years ago.

If your smith is unfamiliar with CZs, those numbers should help him out. As always, trigger work is not for the amateur.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

To me, some amount of creep equates to some extra measure of safety. If you were to drop the gun, the sear could slip off of the notch. Granted, that's what the half-cock is for; but, it shouldn't ever go that far. Also, you 'may' be able prevent a surprise shot break, when the need for the shot suddenly subsides.

My CZ85 had a trigger problem. The smith was able to get a VERY smooth DA pull, but the SA pull had a 3 stage creep. a call to Josef Dlask and one of his new triggers had the pistol converted to SA only and a no creep pull. I never did shoot the gun DA anyway.

Back