Trigger locks ?

rebs

How good or effective are they ? I have been given both the cable kind and the ones that go in the trigger opening. How difficult is it to remove them if someone stole your gun or would a thief pass it by because of the lock ?

Gotta' think that unless the gun is locked to something substantial, a mere trigger lock won't even slow a thief down.
It could, however, prevent them from using the weapon for awhile until the lock can be removed.
That alone could be a benefit to anyone the thief runs across during their getaway.

I saw an expensive padlock cut open with a bolt cutter once. The guy using it did not have to squeeze the handles together. The weight of the top handle was enough.

If your gun is stolen, the trigger lock likely won't hold with a 1/2 clever thief.
The cable locks cut easily with Wiss cutter ( hardened, double action "scissors ")
And the 2-piece ones that go through the trigger guard drill pretty easy.

They are worthless other than keeping small kids from doing something bad. I opened the cable type with a multi-tool and used vice grips to break a plastic one.

Limited protection

They are worthless other than keeping small kids from doing something bad.
That is their primary use or application. On a related note, regardless of how robust the lock might be, if it has a tumbler, It would take about 15-seconds to open it. That holds true for safes that have Day-Locks. That is why I never keep mine, in this mode. ....... :rolleyes:

Be protective and;
Be Safe !!!

I was in Cabela's and bought a Liberty single gun safe, very heavy steel and a cable to secure it where you want. I am going to use this during the day when I am not home and going where I cannot conceal carry. Does this sound reasonable to you guys ?

Sure.
Not all thieves carry tools around with them.
And they don't spend a lot of time at the scene unless it's safe to do so.
So anything that provides an obstacle to them is good.
But hiding that little box might be better than just having it.
Out of sight, out of mind.

They are worthless other than keeping small kids from doing something bad.

If the lock secures the gun TO something, then yes, otherwise, not so much.

I have a huge gripe with trigger locks, (and internal locks) on guns. I'm not at all against the idea of securing the gun, and making it safe, I just hate the idea, pushed by so many, that putting a lock on a loaded gun is a good idea. IT IS NOT! (in my opinion).

And I find the idea of putting a lock on an unloaded gun (to make it "safe") to be foolish. UNLOADED, there is no danger. Lock the gun IN something, or TO something, unloaded, its as safe as safe gets. Lock the ammo in something else, and you add another layer of protection.

Put a trigger lock on a loaded gun, and you are running a risk I find unacceptable. The only thing that belongs on a trigger is your finger, at the moment of firing.

The gun safe I bought is a heavy steel box with a security cable that you can attach to something solid so nobody can just find the box and walk off with it.

I just hate the idea, pushed by so many, that putting a lock on a loaded gun is a good idea. IT IS NOT! (in my opinion).
Jeesh, trigger locks, especially. "Great idea, Feinswine, let's mandate running a foreign object through the firearm feature specifically designed to dissuade the ingress of foreign objects!" Not that I pay them any mind on the way to the garbage can, but do they at least have a disclaimer saying they should not be used on loaded weapons?

I remember as a wee lad in the '90's various news 'investigative reports' showing how common trigger locks could be pulled back & shift enough to fire the weapon. Not that the conclusion was 'don't use these on loaded weapons,' ; that'd be too intelligent. No, they concluded that federal funding was required as well as legislation to develop & mandate locks that would more rigidly clamp to the gun & prevent its discharge (i.e. one clamp for every trigger guard design).

As an 8 year old I thought it was dumb, as an adult I now know that the media probably couldn't differentiate between a 'loaded' and 'unloaded' pistol, and so therefore a true trigger-disabling lock was the only logical solution.

TCB

I was in Cabela's and bought a Liberty single gun safe, very heavy steel and a cable to secure it where you want. I am going to use this during the day when I am not home and going where I cannot conceal carry. Does this sound reasonable to you guys ?

For kids, probably. For a thief, it will barely slow him down, but that applies to most of them. 16GA steel is only 1/16" thick and if the cable is like most (1/8" vinyl covered) a pair of common dikes will cut it with a good two handed squeeze. If you are able to bolt it down in a way that it is not easy to pry, that would be best.

Thank you guys for the replies, I appreciate it.

The one I bought has a 1/4" cable and heavier steel case, it is more than 16 gauge steel. I am thinking about mounting it to the floor studs with lag bolts in a hidden place where it cannot be seen.

The HDX-150 and 250 are 14GA (5/64"). The rest of the line is 16GA from what I have seen. Again, your kids probably won't try to destroy something you own to gain access and certainly anything is better than nothing as thieves are generally lazy.

I keep a couple hundred bucks on top of my big safe for the lazy ones in hopes they grab it and go get their fix without destroying my safe. :)

Back