Trigger Job on a GP100 or Not?

S.F.S

I have a GP100 and am considering having my smith either lightning the springs or he said he can polish things up and it would smoothin things out a little without changing the springs if I want. This pistol has been very reliable for the past 2 1/2 yrs I have had it and really don't want to change that. The trigger on it is crisp but a little heavy.
What do you guys recommend I do change the springs or just polish things up or just leave it alone?
He said he trys a combination of 3 different springs to see what works the best.
Thanks,
Scott

Wilson Combat sells a very good spring kit. If I remember correctly, it has 3 mainsprings, & at least 3 trigger return springs of various weights. The mainspring alone in my Security Six did wonders, when I finally got around to tuning the trigger return, I was surprised at how good it handles. The whole kit was less than $15 1-1/2 years ago.

i replaced the triger return and hammer springs in my gp 100.10 bucks from wolf and they are really easy to instal.stock the gp has 14 lbs springs.wolf has reduced power spring you get a selection from 8 lbs to 12 lbs.install the 8 lbs .do it yourself its easy and everyone that has handled my gp things i had a high doller trigger job.
i had a gunsmith do my security six and he did a crappy job.i brought him in my gp to show him what i was after.he was insulted that my triger job was so much better than his .he said you wont be able to ignigt you primers.bull **** i have shot all sorts of ammo and no missfires.
point is some gunsmiths are shadetree mechanics.do it yourself and save some money and have it sone right.

Changing the springs is relatively easy. You should be able to do it yourself. Make sure that ignition is reliable. I am not able to use the 8lb spring in my GP-100. It won't set off CCI magnum primers.

Police Trigger Pull on GP-100

Have your gunsmith give you a police trigger pull. This should be a GOOD double action trigger pull.

The other alternative is to go to www.gunsprings.com and order what you need and, try to do it yourself.

DON'T cut a link out of the mainspring!!!
Several years ago I cut the mainspring on a Security Six. The gun was later stolen. I wonder if the thief realizes that it would only function with reloads using Federal Primers?

Springs and Polish

It depends on how light you want the trigger. I changed the springs and polished the trigger Assembly on my Security Six. The trigger breaks now at about 2-1/2Lb SA and 7Lb DA. It has been totally reliable but I only use it for target shooting, I think the trigger is much to light for a self defense gun.

Tony:p

Last edited:
I rather not do it myself since I don't know what Im doing.
Also he only charges $30.00 to do it. He said I would feel it mostly on DA not SA. Since I only fire it SA is it really worth it?
He also advised not to use CCI primers since they are hard. He is a very reputable gun-smith that I do know for a fact. And he did say it will leave their reliable.

He's right about the CCI primers, found that only Win. primers were reliable after changing springs.
I can tell the difference in SA, dropped the pull weight about 2lbs.
Replacing these springs is a piece of cake, no mechanical aptitude required.

Ditto on fastforty, I have the Wilson springs installed on my GP-100 (very easy to do if you know how to take apart the gun) and I'm using the lightest ones. SA trigger pull now at about 2.5lbs. NICE!!!

BTW, you can get them at http://www.brownells.com for a measly $8.95. Cheapest trigger job I ever did on a gun!

Back