Trigger for M&P 15-22

idek

I've asked questions in the past pertaining to building my first AR. Instead, I've gotten an M&P 15-22.

It's the MOE SL version with Magpul stuff on it. I like it but am curious about trigger upgrades.

I will mention that this is NOT being used as a trainer rifle for a defense/combat AR, so the suggestion of "use what you have on your real AR" does not apply. The gun will just be a plinker and maybe used for some small game. I have several other .22s with trigger weights ranging from about 2.5-4#, so I'd like something in that ballpark. Also, I think I would prefer a single-stage trigger, but I am open to two-stage (not very knowledgeable about this).

I've looked on some websites and see some drop-in options below $200 that I think might work. That includes options from CMC and Timney. I have Timney in a bolt rifle. I have no experience with CMC.

Can anyone offer suggestions? Also, I don't know if any particular triggers won't work with the 15-22, so if you know something about that, I'd appreciate your input.

The CMC triggers are kinda rough. Well made, but not as nice as a Timney. Go for the Timney for the extra few bucks. Or you can look around and find knock-offs for a little less.

Larue MBT. They are a fantastic trigger at a reasonable price. I would put it up againt timminey or any of the other higher end drop in styles.

Thanks for the input. I will look into the various suggestions.

One more question...

When I search for "M&p 15-22 trigger" one of the top results was from velocitytriggers.com. (I've never heard of the company before) Most of their triggers are listed as having a 3# pull weight. However, for the 22LR ARs, they say their 4# trigger (which has a heavier hammer spring) is a better choice to get better primer strikes on rimfire cases.

Can anyone verify if this is something I should consider (regardless of which brand I go with)? Will a slightly heavier trigger give better results in primer ignition? I have 10/22s with 2.5# triggers that function just fine, but AR triggers may be a different beast.

Mine has never had an issue with light primer strikes and the trigger is 3lbs measured.

I didn't have the lower, I started from scratch, the idea was to have a exact copy of my 223 only in 22lr.
It was more expensive that I thought it would be but all the factory AR 22's I've looked at are made with inexpensive parts, I figured on shooting the gun a lot and wanted it to last, function well and be accurate. It's embarrassing how much I spent on it, I'll have to shoot it a lot to get my money's worth from the project.

Here's what went into it,

Rock River Arms Lower
Rise Armament 3.5 single stage trigger
Timber Creek ambi safety
" " extended magazine release
Mission First Tactical Battlelink utility stock
" " " engage pistol grip
" " " trigger guard
CMC anti-walk pins
UTG 6 position buffer tube
Redi-mag adapter for S&W magazines
Lower receiver pin and spring kit, mil-spec bolt release from local Murdocks
CMMG complete 16"upper

Last edited:
I have a CMMG 22LR dedicated upper. I did have issues with light strikes when I had the JP 3.5# spring set installed. I replaced the hammer spring with a heavier one and the issue went away. I have gone at least 1,200 rounds w/o any light strike issues since. Pull in mine is around 4# and is a "standard" two-stage trigger. You might get away with a lighter pull by using a drop-in/cartridge style trigger.

Thanks for the continued input. It sounds like the heavier trigger is NOT a must.

Another point I'd like clarified is that of putting a trigger assembly in the polymer lower. Some places mention needing a steel sleeve or shim. Is that something I need in addition to anti-walk pins?

I would suggest the Rock River Arms (RRA) Two stage chrome match trigger

Before I gave up the AR platform (hated the ergonomic) I had two of them, one in an MP15-22.

Drop in and it was the best thing about the AR of either type

note: Mostly I am a target shooter and the AR just is not it for that sans one of the really accurate ones and I would rather shoot bolt action, I know many love the AR, just not for me

Back