Trigger finger blister

jlflegal

When I try to practice dry fire with my Model 60 it doesn't take very long for the outside edge of my finger to start to blister. The trigger is serrated with pretty sharp edges.

What would you recommend:

1. Smooth out the trigger surface ($35)

2. Buy a smooth trigger ($45 from S&W, $20 installation)

3. Trigger job which lightens the pull (approx. $100)

4. Just put on a band aid when practicing

My solution was....

Smoothed the trigger myself with a Dremel tool.

Installed a Bullseye spring kit myself.

The costs for both have probably changed since I did mine.

The bandaid works, by the way.

Well, ain't that just too cool!:D The first guy to respond is writing from where I was born. Sadly, tho, my parents brought me to frozen Michigan when I was two and even sadder I'm STILL here.

If you are not the do-it-yourself type, have a smith lightly break the outer edges of the trigger, both on its face, and on the back side. Many folks get the meat of the fingertip pinched at the end of the trigger pull. It is gets wedged between the back of the trigger and the rear of the trigger guard. This really shouldn't cost more than $10-$15.

This goes against conventional wisdom; but, I'll say it anyway. I've learned that the serrations actually help you by preventing your finger from sliding across the face of the trigger as you pull. Such subtle movement tends to pull the gun off target.

Be careful when selecting a gun smith to do action work on S&W j-frames. They aren't real easy to do... not at all like their bigger brothers and sisters.

I shoot quite a few j-frames. One, which is a M60 that gets carried from time to time, had an action job, trigger contoured and polished, and hammer radiused and half-bobbed for about $135. Methinks $100 is a bit steep for just an action job... unless your smithy is real good.

Since I shoot j-frames a bit, my blister hardened into a callous long ago. But my blister is like the one that VL described... not necessarily from serrations.

Another reason for keeping the serrated trigger is similar to the reason VL stated also. Once when I was wounded (stabbed) during an armed confrontation (back in 1972 or 1973 BC (before communications)) I had to hold two guys and a pregnant woman at gunpoint awaiting arrival of the police. I remember wiping one hand off on my clothing, taking the gun (a P38) in it while I wiped the other hand off... repeating several times. Man oh man, blood is slippery stuff!

Anyway the narrow triggers with serrations are sometimes referred to as combat triggers. During stress... or any other slippery situation... serrations, stippling, etc. are good things IMO.

Now, you could get another M60 (can't have too many SS j-frames I always say) with a smooth trigger for most of your practice. Or toughen up and get a callous. Or if the band aid is working use it... or a piece of mole skin. Even with the finger covered you should still get a callous real soon.

But, there is no reason not to take the edges off the trigger as VL also suggests. Just be mindful that j-frames are real finicky about getting work done on the insides. But, a pro gunsmith... as WeShoot suggests is the only way to have this done. The right job will make that m60 of yours hum! In that case the $100 is well spent.

Above plus.

Lighten the load on that finger by spending half the dry fire time using the other hand. Alternate every few minutes.

Good to ge good with either hand.

Sam

I'm sure nobody at TFL would do such a thing, but this thread reminds me of a Model 60 I saw in the used case at the local gunshop. The trigger had evidently been ground smooth while it was still in the gun, such that at one point the grinder missed and gouged the frame. Ruined a good gun, IMO. :rolleyes:

I just did some trigger work on 3 j-frames. I replaced the springs and polished the rebound slides. I did NOT touch the sears. It made a major difference and was not hard. You do need a couple tools and Jerry K's book. If you've just got one J-frame to do, it might be cheaper to send it off to a gunsmith. If you've got multiple guns to do and you're reasonably handy, it's not hard, provided you don't touch the sear, you get the required tools, and Jerry K's book.

M1911

Exactly what M-1911 said and a bonus is: you will learn how to take the side plate off and properly clean and lube your gun which will make it last about 10X longer before it needs a tune up.

Back