Trigger creep

Keeper

I have a brand new model 700 classic that has some creep in the trigger. It is almost like a double trigger. It breaks at about 4 lbs. Is there anything simple to do short of pulling it from the stock and adjusting the trigger? Also does remington put some sort of oil or grease in their barrels? I ran a patch through the barrel and was supprised when it came out slightly darkened. It looked like oil but I could not be sure. The rifle appeared new in box but I am not sure after running that patch through.

In any mass-production item, there is just so much finish-work that can be done in order to sell the product at a reasonable price.

So, the mating surfaces of your rifle (the bolt and the receiver rails, for instance) don't have the smooth, final polish of many rifles of 50 years ago, or custom guns of today (which can easily run $2,500).

The same holds true for the trigger and the bedding of the rifle in the stock. A competent gunsmith can use a very fine stone and smooth out the trigger. He can slightly reduce the length of the travel, if this is adjustment-capability is not built into the trigger assembly.

Removing the barrelled action from the stock for a thorough cleaning is no bad thing.

I suggest finding a gunsmith and talking to him about the various small improvements which can be made. Think it all over and come back here and ask more questions.

As far as the patch through the barrel, even a new gun has been test fired, and not necessarily cleaned to perfection before shipping...

FWIW, Art

Back