Trigger Adjustment on Win M70

Corey

I have a Winchester M70 WinTuff. It is a great rifle, but the trigger is set for a mountain rifle ( something I could without). I would like to adjust it down to about 3.5 - 4 pounds, but I am unsure about the exact proceedure to do this. I have the general idea what to do, but I would like to know if it can be done by me and the general procedure to do it.

I, too, could benefit from some good tips on bringing the Win 70 trigger to at least a reasonable weight of pull.

A salesman, who counseled me NOT to buy a Winchester demonstrated the trigger pull of a Featherweight by cocking the action and hanging the gun off his finger by the trigger without it snapping- this means the trigger on that gun is about 7lbs- or was this some sort of trick?

Anyway- I've read Dunlap's book on Gunsmithing but his advice on the Win 70 is limited. Any other suggestions, reading, or links would be valuable.

I will only go this far in telling you how to work on your triggers. The Model 70 is fairly simple. The 3 thin nuts on the threaded pin behind the trigger control the spring tension and overtravel. Brownells sells wrenches to fit these and other rifles' trigger adjustments as well. I don't recommend setting the Model 70 under 3-1/2lbs. If you want it lighter than that see a smith. George

I know what you mean about the M70's having a hard trigger pull DeeBee. I took mine to a gunsmith in Fredericton, NB and he tried the trigger. He pulled on the trigger and then asked me if I was having trouble with my safety jamming. After taking a look at the safety and finding no trouble, he then estimated the trigger pull to be around 9-10 lbs. At close range this is a minor problem, but at long range it is a big problem.
Thank you George for the information. I have a buddy who is a machinist who might just have the tools to adjust it.

George and Corey-

I'd be entirely satisfied with a 3.5lb win 70 trigger!

I thought the nut only adjusted the overtravel and didn't have anything to do with the pull weight.

I've just read Dunlap's Gunsmithing again, and I think I'm going to try some conservative polishing in combination with the nut adjustments- but I'll wait until I have the proper wrenches.

Oh, one more question, what would happend if I just slapped some red rouge and oil slurry on the sear engagement and worked the trigger a dozen times?

If I happen to ruin the trigger, $20 will get me a new one from Brownells...

Back