Trigger Adjustment on SRH

AR-10

Is there any reason not to install an overtravel set screw on the trigger of a Ruger SRH .44 mag?
  • I asked a gunsmith to do it for me and he gave it a pass,saying it would make the DA/SA unreliable. I know this is not true,and told him so, because I put hot glue on the backside of the trigger the thickness I want the overtravel screw to protrude. The gun functioned fine and gave better acuracy.
  • I would like to drill and tap the trigger exactly in the center of the contact area the pad of my finger covers when I pull the trigger.Will this weaken the trigger enough to bend or break? That is the only drawback I can see.

Ar-10, I can see his concern, not so much in the DA as the single action. But, if you've already experimented and know the thickness you need I don't see a problem. Worst case scenario; You end up having to buy a new trigger. But I really don't see that happening. George

Already done! After completely disassembling the trigger group, I decided to mount the over-travel set screw in the back of the trigger guard. It took about two hours start to finish. A drill press was a big plus. I mounted a 6/32 allen head set screw and adjusted it to the trigger travel I wanted. I even managed to find the set screw I needed in stainless!! I'll wait till this Spring to range test it before I decide to lock-tite it or not.The trigger is still set at the same poundage,but has a much nicer feel now in single action.
  • Thanks for responding George. We both posted about the same time. I appreciate your imput.Thanks again.

Back