Tried out the new S&W 625 Mountain Gun Today

M16

I took out my new S&W 625 .45 colt mountain gun for a test drive today. This is one accurate little puppy. I loaded up some Hornady 250 grain XTP hollowpoints over a medium load of AA#9 for a velocity of around 900 fps. Best group was a little over an inch and a half with five shots clustered right at an inch. Out of all the mountain guns I have this one looks like its going to be the most accurate. It's going to be a hard decision as to which one to pack. Recoil is very mild and about the same as the 625 acp version. It is definitely worth the money.

M16, per chance do you also own a 657 (.41 mag) Mountain Gun? Considering selling or know where I may be able to locate one?

NOTE: When I first posted this reply, I put some data in that is a bit hot. It has now been deleted or changed. SORRY about the error.

21 MAR--Just looked up the actual chrono notes and have revised below post as to velocities.

Below information is okay.
Johnny

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

M16---

Isn't it GREAT?

Several years ago, I was in West Texas and shot the original Mountain REVOLVER (not Mountain GUN) in .44 Mag, which a gun writer friend had for evaluation. It was really nifty, and I coveted it, but already owning a custom, short-barrel .44 Super Blackhawn, AND a Colt New Service .44 Special, I could not really justify getting one.

Then I went to the Dallas SHOT show and saw the 625-6 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt and that did it for me. Phoned my favorite dealer and ordered one--Didn't even ask the price! So, the second one I ever saw was mine own!

I've had really good results with 250 LSWC bullets and either 9.0 gr or Unique or 9.0 gr. H. Universal. Chronos at 898 fps, very pleasant to shoot, and quite accurate.

I also have an old Lyman 454424 mould that seems to be cut just a trifle long, because it throws wheel weight slugs at 276 gr. It is the old long nose Keith-Thompson SWC bullet, and it is a hoot to shoot at long range, with the same 9.0 gr loads of Universal, at 869 or 9.0 Unique, at 887.

Hope you enjoy your Mountain Gun as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Best,
Johnny

MOLON LABE!

[Edited by Johnny Guest on 03-21-2001 at 02:11 AM]

M16

Congratulations on the new gun, There is no better feeling in the world than to get a new gun and find out it is very accurate.

Quiet Guy, The only caliber in the mountain gun that I am missing is the .41 magnum. I had the chance to buy one a year or two ago and passed on it. The shop wanted more than I wanted to give. I later changed my mind and decided to get it. When I went back it was gone. I'm gonna find one though sooner or later. The shop has a sign in it that says "The gun you looked at today and are going to buy tomorrow may be the gun somebody else looked at yesterday." I thought that summed it up quite well.

I just picked up my .45 colt mountain gun yesterday. :o), I will hopefully get to the range Saturday and ring this puppy out! I hope it is as accurate as my .45 acp M625. If it is I will be one happy camper. Now I gotta decide on what grips it will wear, cuz I do not like the Hogue rubber grips it came with...any suggestions?

I got a set of the Pachmayr Compact Presentation rubber stocks for my Mountain Gun and they work extremely well. Not so long as the Hogues that came on the revolver. Also, the Dillon Blue Press catalog shows Spegel Boot "Grips" for the round butt N-frame. Wood, very pretty. I have seen a couple of sets and really have to restrain myself from spending the $60.

These are illustrated on pg. 52 in the April 2001 Blue Press, their item number A35-10155. Their order/tech suppport toll-free line is 800-223-4570. (Isn't that the coolest number?)

Same page, same catalog: Butler Creek boot grips for $20. Rubber, though, and I like the Pachmayr better.

Best,
Johnny

MOLON LABE!

Back