Tried IWB today . . .

Prof Young

I tried in-waist-band carry today and liked it. I've always thought it looked awkward and uncomfortable. My carry gun is a sig p238. As I have a touch of "overlap" (gut overlaps belt) I wear my belt lower on my hips. I figured the IWB would make my pants sag. Actually the IWB helped keep my pants up. I wore the gun that way to the range and back again. Worked fine while in the truck but if I had to draw with a seatbelt on that could be a problem. Anyway, I like it much better than I thought I would and it is a nice alternative to my carry vests.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Yeah, that little bugger can hide almost anywhere and not be a problem. My wife and I each have one - my wife for EDC and me for a pocket gun when IWB doesn't work for one reason or another.

I carry IWB every day. It's the only way I carry anymore. If you have a good gun belt and holster, I think you can carry almost any handgun IWB. I carry several full size pistols IWB, including 1911's, FN FiveSeven, CZ 75, etc., comfortably.

I have IWB carried on and off through the years.
Some recent weight loss made it easy for me to revisit the option and i have been carrying IWB almost exlusively for the past several months.

iwb is the only way i can conceal carry my 1911, and it is very comfortable. now i had a walther ppq and the iwb holster i had for it just didnt work for me. it was extremely uncomfortable and didnt hide my gun very well

With the right holster, it can work very well. But it will always be less comfortable than other methods when driving. Sitting in an office chair is ok, but driving is definitely a compromise.

I use IWB,with my Compact 40's & 9 mm Semi auto pistols and two of my revolvers .38 SPL+P and my 605 .357 Magnum. I don't even think about IWB'ing my two 1911's in my mind they are just to big.Only my opinion!:D

I wear my IWB between my belt and pants. Much more comfortable for me. Not quite as concealable but with a 2" belt, there isn't much barrel showing below the belt.

Same here, I iwb 100% of the time. Get a rigid gun belt and your set. You can also cant it forward a bit and use button up shirts to keep from printing. Its a personal choice :)

IWB / OWB strong side is probably the best all around carry method for most people. Not the best for everything, but good for most situations.

As for IWB with a 1911, given its slenderness the 1911 is probably one of the most comfortable full sized steel guns to carry. With a good belt and holster I think it's actually more comfortable than lighter, chunkier options.

IWB / OWB strong side is probably the best all around carry method for most people. Not the best for everything, but good for most situations.
True, for a number of reasons.

Not the best for accessing a gun by a right handed person who is sitting in the drivers seat of a car. For that, don't change carry--carry a backup.

Tried IWB today . . .

My carry gun is a sig p238.

That thing's tiny. I can't see that being a problem IWB unless you wear your belt really loose, or have most pessimal craptastic holster.

I've carried as large a gun as an XD Service, 36 oz loaded, without a problem. Typically, though, the gun carried is quite a bit smaller.

Prof,

You mentioned "carry vest" - what are you using? Do you mean one of the close-body chest wraps that have an integrated holster, or something else?

For me, IWB is impractical, so I am looking for other options.

Thx!

I bought the Ultimate Conceald Carry belt from Amazon. Awesome belt. Rigid and a serious buckle. At first I thought it would be too massive. Makes all of the difference in the world. Like the OP I also suffer from what I call Dunlops disease, and this belt keeps you pants up and works with shorts, Levi's and can even work with dress pants. It is made the way belts used to be.

My vests are . . .

Sparemag:
I have two Guide Gear vests that are designed for CC. They have an inside chest level pocket with a built in expandable holster. I tried my Beretta 92 fs in there and it fits just fine. Usually it's just my Sig p238. I also have a Duluth Trading Co. vest that while not designed for CC, the inside zippered pocket holds my Sig just fine. The Guide Gear vest are what the "pros" call a "shoot me first" vest in that they look a little "tactical" the Duluth vest not so much. I also have a denim jacket I bought via the NRA on line store that has a pretty good inside CC pocket. Hope you can find something that works for you.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Not the best for accessing a gun by a right handed person who is sitting in the drivers seat of a car. For that, don't change carry--carry a backup.

Yep. For that I bought a cheap nylon cross draw with a metal clip that i attach to the lapbelt.

I carry IWB all the time and have done it for years. I find it prints much less the OWB and I think the gun is more secure.

I carry a Sig P290rs IWB in a Holsterpro Model 508 a little ahead of the 3 o'clock position. It's not uncomfortable driving and still accessible.

I clip it over the top of my jeans and my belt runs over the clip.

Back