Triebel Augsburg Cape Gun - History? Value?

Pinfold

Inactive
My father recently passed away and I recieved as part of my inheritance a beautifully engraved underlever cape gun and my online research has come up a little short. The engraving along the top between the barrels reads E(I think?) Triebel Augsburg and on the right-side rifle barrel is engraved GUSS-STAHL. There are no other markings save decorative engravings. I am including photos (apologize for the quality- they are from my cellphone's camera). Does anyone have any idea of this gun's history or approximate value? My father always said "One day I'll tell you about this gun." and that day never came as he was taken from us rather suddenly and unexpectedly. I'd greatly appreciate anything anyone could come up with. Thanks.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 346
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 205
last photo

Apologies for the cat- she was just trying to give the picture "scale"...

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 142
Sorry for your loss. It seems we never have as much time to tell what we know as we think we will.

It is a handsome old gun, and it is OLD, that type of foreend lever goes way back. Likely pre-WW I manufacture, although I would bet it is WW II Occupation loot. Triebel was just one of many small gunmakers in Europe of the day.

There is still a Triebel in business in Germany, although in Berlin, not Augsburg. No way of knowing it if is the same or successor company or another Triebel altogether. But they do trace the family back in gunsmithing for 250 years. For your interest
http://www.triebel.de/

Thanks

Thanks so much. Interesting site, and I am in communication with them now too. Haven't heard back yet though.

Have a Gun just like it.

I was trying to find the value of the Gun also. The gun I have is very similar to yours but with a couple of differences. One difference is the finger rests and on the stock of the gun you have an engraving of an elk and mine is smooth. I am going to take it to the Antiques Road Show today in Atlantic City and try and find some history of it. If you are interested I will write back with the findings.

Clayton Carr Jr.

Gusstahl, if I recall correctly, means fluid steel, so the frame and especially the barrels are of good quality. That forend lever came from the Austria, Germany, Belgium area. I have a 12ga. shotgun from Belguim that works like that. These were known as "trade guns" with no brand name and were imported around the early 1900's. Sad to say the quality is not near what you have. I'm jealous. Here endeth the epistle.

Back