Trident Concepts

sar

I just signed up for CP1 with Jeff Gonzales at Trident Concepts, LLC. Has anyone here taken the class? I was wondering what to expect while I put together a training program to get ready for it. Thanks!

my $.02

Recommendation 1: Buy Jeff’s most excellent book. Read it. Come to class with any questions.
Recommendation 2: Don’t reinforce bad habits by your own range program, wait for the class.

Thanks. Have read the book, thought is was very good. Good idea about not reinforcing my bad habits since I'll be bringing enough of them with me...

sar-
First, since Jeff is on the S.W.A.T. Magazine staff, anything I say may be viewed as being biased. OK, I'm biased. Jeff is a very good instructor and makes sure that even though a lot of rounds are going downrange, they are all quality. You won't shoot just to get a high round count. If you pay attention, you will learn -- a lot!

Check out this link on Jeff's website for what to expect:
http://www.tridentconcepts.com/Firearms/Pistol/Combative Pistol.htm

Denny

You will shoot up close. You will shoot from 15-25 yards (I know, I know, blah-blah % of shootings are under five yards. What if your shooting isn't?) . You will shoot while moving. You will learn to run the gun. You will be expected to shoot accurately, if you don't Jeff will show you how to do so. You will shoot under some time pressure. You will learn from a true professional. You will have some fun. :)

I took CP2 a couple of weeks ago, and i'll take CP1 in a couple of months.

It makes me feel good to read such positive reviews as I'm hoping to take the CP1 course when JG comes to Charlotte in a few months.

God willing, and the creek don't rise, I'll be there with a CZ in hand.

I'm signed up for CP1 in L.A. in March, I took the course previously in 2003! :D How you prepare for the course depends I think on how much experience you already have. The course assumes you already know the basics (e.g., grip, sight picture and alignment, trigger press, reloads, malfunction clearances) and it's a good idea to have those wired before the course. I wouldn't worry too much about ingraining bad habits by practicing this stuff before the course; it's more important I think to feel comfortable shooting and manipulating your pistol before the class starts so you're not struggling to keep up with the new concepts or variations that you will be learning from Jeff. Also (I know I'm contradicting another post above, no offense intended! :) ) but I would say wait until you take the course to buy Jeff's book, then read the book shortly after you take the class to refresh your memory and fill in the gaps in the notes you take.

It's been a while since I've trained, so a month before CP1 I'm actually taking a 2 day entry level course from another trainer just to reinforce the basics and get some range time in, then I'll do some dry fire and maybe an IDPA match before the class. Probably overkill but CP1 is such a useful class that I want to be in good form when the class starts and my skills are kind of rusty right now.

The course description on the Trident Concepts website pretty much sums up the curriculum; the low-light and one-handed shooting portions of the class were exceptional. Have fun!

Well, gents, I just filled out the online app and submitted the CC info. If there's still room, I should be good to go for CP1 next month.

If I might, could those of you that have been through this class give your impressions on what gear you wished you had? The basics are covered, but I wonder if six magazines will be enough. Also, how many rounds did you end up firing? The website suggests you bring 1200-1300 rounds, but did you find that you needed less or more? Wallie world is just right around the corner from everywhere, so I don't suppose it would be hard to resupply.

Just wondering. Didn't mean to heist the thread.

The equipment list on the website pretty much covers what you need. I brought the recommended amount of ammo but didn't use all of it, YMMV. I only used 3 magazines, one in a mag pouch, 2 in my back pocket. Bring lots of water to keep hydrated. Rain gear and dry clothes; I needed both in the CP1 class I took.

Stuff that's not on the website list but you may want to bring: knee pads (you'll be on one or both knees on some drills); folding chair (to relax in during lunch, breaks, etc.); rear sights that you can hook on the edge of your belt (optional, useful for one of the one-handed malf. clearance techniques Jeff teaches); bandaids; hand/face wipes; backup weapon and gear (in case your primary pistol conks out). Can't think of anything else at the moment, hope this helps!

Back