tricked by the ever elusive tree chicken again!

BerdanSS

Well almost at least...third trip this morning for squirrel and only got one. About the same luck as last two times.

First time out I pegged one with the mossberg 151M .22 from about 60 yards. hit it squarely right behind the ears broadside with a CCI LRN match....after 20 minuets of looking we never found it. That was the last one seen for the entire day. The second trip, my buddy shot one (or at it at least) 25 yards out just seconds after stepping into the woods with his old 34A Ranger, loaded with some kind of odd semi-wadcutter!? looking thing that was at least as old as the rifle. It fell right out of the tree dropping 30 feet or so...and promptly ran off.

This morning I decided to forego the .22 and took a shotgun. I shot a nice sized gray mid jump after 30 minuets in the woods. Upon retrieving it, I found only one SINGLE #4 pellet had hit it smack dab in the middle of the back of the head:eek: instantaneous :)

A few seconds after I dropped the nice, clean and healthy tree chicken into my game bag....a shot rang out to south east.....hot butter my buddy must of had one! what a change from the last two trips. When we met up though I found out he had chucked his down the ravine due to warbles he said:( didn't see another bushy tail the rest of the day.

They are either less prevalent, or extremely inactive compared to last year this time. Last year we both had our limits by no later than noon:confused:

After meeting back up, there was a lot more of this being done than shooting...

IMG_20130928_0857151_zpsfe1d399e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

yes sir, a bad day hunting is most defiantly better than a good day at work:D

Would you belive I picked that scatter gun up at a swap meet for $150?

My hunting partner invited me to go Maryland gray squirrel hunting on public hunting land last Saturday, but I never expected that both of us would have had limited out {six squirrels} like we did {with shotguns}, before 12 o'clock noon. Squirrels seemed to be everywhere, along with a great nut mast.

One squirrel that I had shot...did have a wolf/warble {bot fly larval} parasite under it's skin --- but I made sure that I skinned and gutted the squirrel before putting it in my game bag --- because I've heard that they will come out from under the squirrel's skin, after the body gets cold; with the meat still being safe to eat.

My last squirrel that I bagged will be one that I'll never forget: I took a 30 yard shot on a squirrel that was running on a big log, after waiting for it to come down a tree for 15 minutes, while it was barking all that time. AFTER PUTTING MY SAFETY BACK ON, my 12 gauge, 1300 Winchester, National Wild Turkey Federation engraved pump gun...I walked briskly over to the wounded squirrel that was hiding under the log.

The squirrel spooked --- and before I had a chance to get off another shot --- she skittered up a 20" diameter White Oak; after disappearing. I walked around the tree for 15 minutes before finally spotting the squirrel's last 2 inches of her bushytail, up high in the crotch of the tree.

I aimed at the tree, just below her tail, and took a shot that spooked the squirrel --- which made it run higher --- and again it vanished in the leafy tree limbs. I guesstimated it's location and took another shot...which made her run to the highest tree limb. I took another shot that made it drop stone dead on the forest floor.

I had them browned fried lightly on both sides, threw them in a pressure cooker with chicken stock, red wine, carrots & onions; for 30 minutes that made meat fork tender & delicious.

p.s. --- My Howard Leight amplified muffs worked great during the hunting outing.

Last edited:
Back