Tribal Land

Bella

We have several Native American Tribes in Nevada. Some allow hunting by the general public. Of course, you have to obtain their permits and pay their fees. I have heard that the hunting can be quite good.

Has anyone here hunted on tribal land? How would you rate it?

Keep in mind, the "natives" may have been killing game on those lands for some time prior to "white guys" hunting seasons.
My Son and I went to South Dakota on an invitation from a resident of the reservation-the guy said we needed to be there as early as the state regs would allow. We got there to find piles of pheasant feathers at the gates of every field we went to. The surviving birds were wild as March hares and flew as soon as we stepped off the road. After 2 days of walking, we'd scratched down 2-3 roosters and went home disappointed.

This may not help but i'm from Northern Michigan and live near the Ojibwa Indian Community and for that matter all of my moms moms side of the family is card carrying members and are or last I knew issued 5 deer tags to use on either buck or doe. They can start hunting in september through the end of the year with a firearm where as everyone else has to wait till mid november.

When I would go out bow hunting in October the deer that weren't on private land were about as freaked out as the second week of firearm deer season.

The only thing that usually saved my season was that they would shoot anything and everything early in september and I saw many of that years fawns hanging on the pole with their mother. Once they bagged out then things would slowly go back to normal.

This may not be the same for all tribes or areas but you might want to scout the area and see how the animal population is. A good example that is not tribal is I live in Milwaukee and the closest public hunting land is 20 miles away. In august there were good signs of deer, squirrel, rabbits, pheasant, turkey and many others. Come the second day of firearm deer season the 700-1000 acre property will have been walked shoulder to shoulder by hundreds of hunters. So much that any grass, bushes and even the cattails in the marsh will be stomped down. The parking areas will look similar to the mall on christmas eve with cars waiting for others to leave to get a parking spot.

A lot of the game will be pushed onto surrounding private land and not come back till the following month. By January all animals that are still alive will be back.

The White Mountain Apache's in AZ have their game and forestry management figured out. Their forest is one of the healthiest in the country and the game and hunting is second to none. However you will pay dearly for a bull elk, but cow is very reasonably priced.

Back