Travelling With Sidearm

Bulldozer

Gentlemen, I am hoping someone here has the experience to help me with a dilemma I am facing.

I have been asked by the CFO of my firm to go down to Central America on business to develop some sites. The area is not particularly safe (close to Colombia) and I wish to bring along a trusted companion (Glock 30). I've travelled with it across the US via air travel without any difficulty in checked baggage and have complied with all legal requirements.

What options do I have to protect myself down in the rain forests? Should I try to get a gun locally once I hit terra firma in Central America? Should I consult my US embassy in the country to get the key details? Any advice would be most welcome.

Also, what would be the likelihood of being able to import a collection if I have to live abroad for a couple of years?

[This message has been edited by Bulldozer (edited July 12, 1999).]

With all due respect, this is the wrong place to ask. Few of us are lawyers and fewer still know the laws of other countries.

First, have your company approve your carrying a gun where consistent with local law. (No way will they get involved in an illegal action.)

Then, contact the Embassy of the country in Washington and send a copy of the company letter. If they say it can't be done, then it can't be done. If it is possible, fill out whatever forms are needed and get approval. This is not short term stuff. Things take time in any bureaucracy, maybe just a little more in Latin America. At a guess, six to nine months.

Make arrangements in advance with the airline; you may have to surrender the gun directly to the pilot for the trip.

If you can't land in the country with all the papers needed to get the gun through customs, and carry it legally, forget it. You will not just be turned back by customs. You will be arrested for arms smuggling, illegal possession, possessing an arm of military caliber, etc., etc.

Getting the company to provide a gun in a foreign country is unlikely, unless the company is "The Company", in which case you would not be asking these questions.

Of course, you could go illegal, hope your bags somehow miss getting X-rayed (X-ray is 100% on international flights), and that customs in the country doesn't search your luggage. Unless you are an experienced smuggler, forget it.

Customs agents may not speak your language, but they sure as H-ll can read your body language. The US Embassy will not help Americans who violate foreign laws beyond getting a local lawyer.

You may fear being killed if you don't have a gun. You will wish you were dead if you get caught with it.

N O T E W E L L:

1. All prisons are nasty; South American prisons are super nasty, though not as bad as Asian and African prisons.

2. Twenty to life is a LOOONNNGGG time to spend with rats, bad water, worse food, and guards who know two words of English, both obscene.

Jim

P.S. If you want to argue about the Second Amendment and all your rights, talk to your dog, cat, gerbil, or the wall. Don't bother me.

JEK

In view of the above comments, I recommend you compare the Latin American non-retirement (prison) plan to the amount this trip will help your career.

Compare, evaluate, make a decision.

Perhaps a medical condition (a positive Tine test?) would delay your ability to take advantage of a truly wonderful career opportunity. Hey, it isn't YOUR fault! (winkey, winkey! ;) )

Or do as I did when I got an embassy assignment. I got a hippie counselor and gave my reply, "Hell no! I won't go!"

It's a decision only you can make....

I certainly wasn't implying anything illegal or against any sort of policy.

I have no desire to break any laws in any country. I was just wondering aloud if anybody in this forum had been abroad and had dealt with the bureaucracy that would accompany such a situation.

If my request was misdirected or somehow hit a sore spot, then I apologize.

Gee whiz, Bulldozer, no problem here! :)

I was just remembering where they planned to send me with a pregnant wife and a 9-month old daughter! Gave me the willies all over again.

Maybe one of the posters from South America would have some suggestions....

(Again. No raw spot here! Just brought back some spooky memories.)

I would decline to go to any such country. I got out of Russsia alive and count that as using up all the luck I deserve. No way I'd go to a third-world country again.

------------------
Cornered Rat, now at bay
ddb.com/RKBA Updated March 20
"Disarm, then past the barbed wire, into the oven and out of the smoke-stack..."

I would also decline if you will be there for the New Years celebration/breakdown of society. Things have the potential to be slightly hairy here. I wouldn't want to guess what kind of **** is going to hit the fan down there.

------------------
Peace...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

Bulldozer, another thought. I don't recall where, but I have seen courses taught for people in exactly this situation. Check around at Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, etc. Also, check with some security firms. I'm sure there are some non-firearms tips that could be beneficial as well.

I don't know about Central America, but Mexico is really hell on firearms transgressions. Be very careful. I would not trust the embassies alone - I would also contact a good criminal attorney in the jurisdiction you'll be visiting. Government bureaucrats have a tendency to say that their advice cannot be relied upon - it is an irritation when dealing with the IRS, but this is much more serious.

Good luck with your decision. I've never had much experience with overseas work, but I know it can be very rewarding.

One last thought ... if you have heirs / dependents, you might also want to up that life insurance. ;)

I would also suggest checking with some of the outfits who sell guided hunting safaris. I imagine they know as much about international firearms transportation as anybody. I'll try to get some names for you from my grandfather. He takes his rifles and his .44mag revolver all over the world.

Never been to South America, but I have traved in the East, Japan and Korea, quite a bit. Firearms over there are definitely a no-no. Pocket knives are a bad thing there also. Unless you can get a diplomatic passport, I do not know how you are going to get a gun into South America.

If you really have to have one, buy it there and leave it when you come back.

bulldozer, check with the embassy or consul of the country(s) that you will be going to or travel in or through.. they can advise you on what, if any , firearms you may bring into or purchase while in their country. do this where you live NOW, as it most often cannot be done at the border. get everything in writing, including the names of the people you talk to about this. have all required permits in hand before you go, make copies and keep them separate from the originals. you can advise the us embassy or consulate where you are going, but it may or may not help any.
as others have pointed out, they will only see that you get a lawyer if you break the law.check with some of the companies that provide training to bodyguards,etc.. they can often advise you about what to expect and may have more current info than the govt.
if in ANY doubt about the legality of carrying a weapon with you, leave it at home, or don't go. most of these countries have NO sense of humor about violations, and you typically sit in jail until they decide whether or not to try you, or just kick you out. either way, it could be quite some time.
don't mean to discourage you, but get it right before you go. oh, yeah, check with your attorney, he may know someone who is in practice where you are going, and it could help. safe trip..... cmore

[This message has been edited by cmore (edited July 13, 1999).]

Back