Travelling thru Texas

BAB

Hi all,

My wife and I may very well spend a couple days travelling through Texas sometime within the next three weeks or so. We will have in our possession a rifle, a handgun, and ammo for both. Can anyone, especially TFL Texans, fill us in on the legalities of such travel?

Thanks!

Howdy, BAB--

Rifle-- No restrictions to carrying legal longarms (over 26", not full auto without papers, rifle barrel over 16", shotgun barrel over 18"), loaded or unloaded, open or concealed, except in "places weapons prohibited." These places are schools, places where alcohol is sold, some government buildings.

Pistol-- As a rule, if you don't have a Texas CHL, no carry outside of to and from sporting activities. BUT! But, that law finishes with the words "[except] while traveling." Traveling is many things to many judges, but most go, unofficially, on a 3-county rule. I.E., if you're crossing more than 3 counties, you're traveling. Y'all are quite obviously traveling. If you get to your destination for a few days, who's to say when you leave? You've got out-of state licenses, plates, and luggage in the trunk. You're traveling. Even if you're not traveling, you can have the handgun out of your scope of reach, say, your trunk.

It is interesting to note that Texas law makes no consideration as to whether or not a firearm is loaded. (Makes sense to me, actually.)

Hope this helps!

BTW, when I drive across other states, I usually call the SO or PD of one of the towns I'll be driving through from each state and check on their specific laws of carry. I do re-check from year to year, because these things change. Most of the states adjacent to or near TX allow carry while traveling, or used to. Call!

Finally, welcome to my state. (No, not of confusion! :)) Enjoy yourselves! :)

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Howdy, BAB--

Rifle-- No restrictions to carrying legal longarms (over 26", not full auto without papers, rifle barrel over 16", shotgun barrel over 18"), loaded or unloaded, open or concealed, except in "places weapons prohibited." These places are schools, places where alcohol is sold, some government buildings.

Pistol-- As a rule, if you don't have a Texas CHL, no carry outside of to and from sporting activities. BUT! But, that law finishes with the words "[except] while traveling." Traveling is many things to many judges, but most go, unofficially, on a 3-county rule. I.E., if you're crossing more than 3 counties, you're traveling. Y'all are quite obviously traveling. If you get to your destination for a few days, who's to say when you leave? You've got out-of state licenses, plates, and luggage in the trunk. You're traveling. Even if you're not traveling, you can have the handgun out of your scope of reach, say, your trunk.

It is interesting to note that Texas law makes no consideration as to whether or not a firearm is loaded. (Makes sense to me, actually.)

Hope this helps!

BTW, when I drive across other states, I usually call the SO or PD of one of the towns I'll be driving through from each state and check on their specific laws of carry. I do re-check from year to year, because these things change. Most of the states adjacent to or near TX allow carry while traveling, or used to. Call!

Finally, welcome to my state. (No, not of confusion! :)) Enjoy yourselves! :)

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

BAB,

I’d recommend you ask the folks who know:

Texas Department of Public Safety on the Web
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

Look over their site. You might end up e-mailing Information Management
at:

webmaster@txdps.state.tx.us

Then, when they answer your e-mail, you have something *in writing* to
show a trooper (if you’re stopped and questioned) that you are doing what
DPS recommended. (PS. I’d leave copies of your request and DPS’ answer
at home.)

-----

*I* recommend you ask direct questions that require yes or no answers.

Something along the lines of:

I am not a resident of Texas. I will be travelling from ___ to ___.

1) Is it legal for me to have a loaded handgun in plain view on the front
seat of my vehicle?

2) What does Texas law indicate is “travelling”? And how does this affect
my right to have a handgun when I travel?

3) For any firearms in the trunk of my sedan (back of my pickup -
whatever), what laws apply to these weapons? They will be unloaded, of
course.

4) Must firearms in the trunk be disassembled?

5) How must firearms in the trunk be stored? Are locked containers
required?

6) Must ammunition be in a separate container? Must that be locked?

7) Please advise how may I comply with all applicable Texas laws by
carrying these guns in the state of Texas.

Please answer before ___ so I receive your information before I leave.

(Pick a date a week or so before you plan to leave.)

-----

Make up your own questions, of course. But make them direct questions
requiring direct answers.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited November 10, 1999).]

Back