Traveling with guns question.

proxpilot

Im going back home to NY next week to visit I know since NY isnt part of the United States i cant conceal there. But Id really like to still bring my guns so i can go to my old gun club with my friends. Anyone know if i can still bring my guns as long as i dont conceal them?

if you are a LEO, retired LEO or have a NY concealed weapons permit you can do this with no problem but I am not sure about if none of these three are true.

hopefully someone else can answer. I know you federally can transport your legal firearm(s) when you move as one example, but I do not know about a visit even though you plan on shooting at the range.

Well, at last it appears that I did something during my long period of really dumb choices (1963-1986) also known as my first marriage penalty-time-- I was teaching for awhile (6 years) in Upstate New York. During that time I registered for and obtained a CCP. I still have it, and just realized that it is "eternal" or rather Life-Time. The only gun on it is my Vietnam trophy Tokarev, but none the less I am actually legal to carry up there should I ever (perish the thought) decide to return to the Land of perpetual Winter. (Oswego area!!).

It will take more than an offer of free BBQ at the Dinosauer BBQ in either Syracuse or Rochester, to get me back there...But if I ever go my Tok goes with me !

Legal resources online, bar talk, "errornet"...

Before you go out & travel with any guns, I'd look over www.Handgunlaw.us or maybe buy a 2011 ed of the Traveler's Gun Law Guide; www.Gunlawguide.com .
Well known atty & writer David Wong wrote a detailed legal guide to US gun & knife laws too. These resources may be better than any "bar talk" or "gun shop rangers" who claim to know every law or ordinanance nationwide.
:(
As legal use of force expert & sworn LE officer Massad Ayoob often complains about the "error-net", you'd be better aided by these sources.

:)

****Please DO NOT Drive Thru NJ*****

What ever you do, DO NOT Drive thru New Jersey with your guns. Just Google guns and NJ and you will see my point. When it comes to guns, NJ is the most insane place in the US.

carsinc said:
What ever you do, DO NOT Drive thru New Jersey with your guns. Just Google guns and NJ and you will see my point. When it comes to guns, NJ is the most insane place in the US.
Nonsense.

Driving through New Jersey with guns is NOT an issue, if you follow the criteria set forth in the Federal FOPA law -- with one important exception:

New Jersey has an almost verbatim replication of the FOPA in state statute, and it is on the NJ State Police web site so they are certainly well aware of it. The small "gotcha" is that, for vehicles with no trunk, where the FOPA requires that the firearm(s) "OR" ammunition be in a locked container, the NJ version says "AND." No big deal. It's easy to put your ammo into some sort of box, toolbox, or tool bag and throw a cheap $3 padlock from Wal-Mart on it. If push came to shove, of course, the Federal rule specifically says that it trumps the NJ version, but why risk having to fight it out in court?

Be advised, however, that this applies only to driving through New Jersey. I would not recommend making any side trips that could be interpreted as making New Jersey a destination rather than an intervening state.

sorry to burst your bubble mayor Al

while you held a lifetime permit to carry, it was only valid while you resided in NY. when you changed residences, the license became invalid. I know, as I also held one from jefferson county NY. in fact, I have been told that it was required to turn it in if no longer a resident of NY or face a felony charge. I cannot verify the bit about felony but I do know the permit is no longer valid.

as to the OP, about the only way you can be legal returning to ny is if you are leo or retired leo with qualifications. ny does not recognize any other states permits and no reciprosity agreements are in place.

I currently live in nc and occasionally return to ny to visit family and what I may or may not carry is no one elses business. ;)

Back