traveling to Colorado from AZ

tomfish1

My freinds are going on a UTV ride/fishing trip though the Grand Mesa area of Colorado. They asked me what the laws were for carrying a gun from AZ to Colorado and then having the gun with them in their UTVs while on the camping trip? I did not know the answer. Any Colorado people here? they do not have CCW permits.

UTV? Dont know what that is, however if you are refering to an atv then you can carry a rifle or shotgun, however the chamber and magazine must be unloaded. Also it must be in a hard or softcase that is completely enclosed. No open end scabbards, Now a handgun can be carried and loaded. However it is still uncertain if it must be exposed to avoid the concealed laws. It seems to be the concencus that it can be in your bag and still be legal and not considered concealed. I will ask tommarow and get back to you.

cool thanks for checking into it. Yes a UTV, Utility Terrain Vehicle is a Rhino, Ranger, Teryx, Mule, Gator, etc that seats 2 or more people like a small buggy sort of.

The way I understand it, you may have a concealed firearm on your person if you have a permit or are hunting in the area. And LEO of course. I know hunting rifles and long guns must be in a case on an ATV when in motion. You cannot have it strapped on your shoulder and be ridding. Pistoles may be carried on person though. I would suggest to them that they OC on the trails. Not that anything would be problematic if they didn't, I seriously doubt anyone would know they had a concealed weapon. Even if they kept said weapon in a bag on the rig I still see no problems resulting. However, I am no lawyer or judge. OC is the legal way to have it as far as I know. But if it is concealed they'll be the only ones to know, everyone else will be non the wiser.

According to the Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, by J. Scott Kappas, open carry is allowed except in Denver (thank you very much state supreme court! :mad: ). Concealed carry is only allowed with a license/permit issued either by a county in Colorado, or by a state that reciprocates with Colorado.

"A traveler may carry a loaded handgun anywhere in his vehicle so long as the firearm is carried for purposes of self-defense." (Kappas). Rifles and shotguns may be carried in the vehicle as well, provided they are unloaded. The term "unloaded" seems to only apply to the chamber. It also states that firearms carried on a snowmobile must be completely unloaded (no live rounds in the firearm at all) and secured in a gun case. I don't know if this provision applies to UTV's, but I would assume that it does.

A good place to check for the current rules is www.coloradocarry.com. They'll be in a better position to tell you what you need to know, and what your rights are.

Back