Trapdoors

Tidewater_Kid

Thanks to Doc Hoy, my trapdoor addiction continues to grow. I enjoy shooting these so much. Always fun at the range with lots of smoke and fun questions. Love popping the 100 yard gong with these and look at the guys with the ARs with a smile!

Thanks Doc!

TK

Attachments

• Trapdoors-5.jpg
    Trapdoors-5.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Trapdoors-6.jpg
    Trapdoors-6.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 53
Thanks! They are a joy to shoot.

First picture -Top one is an 1884 (made around 1890) and the bottom is a 1868 model made around 1870.

Second picture - both are 1866 models with cut barrels. The top one is in the Bannerman style.m

TK

Last edited:
I have one of the newer ones a H&R Officers Model the centennial one.

411308202.jpg

My Dad had an 1873 .45-70 that he inherited after my Grandfather died in 1965. Dad, being the quintessential refinisher of all firearms he owned, refinished all of the wood, reblued all the metal that showed, and it looked purty!

I was only in my teens when he did all that but I remember all of the patina and the condition of the wood before he performed his "magic". He probably decreased the value by at least 50%. It served as a wallhanger and an occaisional shooter thereafter. I remember shooting it with low pressure 405 grain smokeless loads, and what a thump to the shoulder for a 15-year-old!

Sigh. I have no idea where it is now.

I do love these rifles. The 1866 and 1868 rifles are in 50-70 and I cast my own bullets and reload with real FFg and Pyrodex RS. The 1884 model is in 45-70 and is very accurate, but shoots about 12 inches high at 50 yards with the 405 grain bullets. I need to get the heavier 500 grain bullet mold for that one. I heard that will lower the point of impact.

The 1868 rifle will hold 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards. That is about as good as I can see at that distance. I'm sure someone else could do better, but I can still hit the 12" gong with it almost every time.

Thanks for looking!
TK

The first big bore rifle that I ever fired was an original 45-70 that belonged to a friend's dad who let me shoot it when I was 14 back in 1964. Smokeless rounds back then, "ouch" on the shoulder is right.

Back