Trapdoor ammo?

Holmes529

I’ve been eyeing a trapdoor for some time now. What ammo is safe to shoot through it? I’ve seen people shoot smokeless and black powder. Could someone provide me with a link for ammo that would be safe for a trapdoor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just about any of the standard pressure, lead bullet loads (Remington, Federal, etc) shoulld be safe for use with a trapdoor. Some of them actually say they are safe for trapdoor Springfields or Cowboy loads. Definitely avoid any loads listed as +P or bear loads, and avoid jacketed bullets as they will cause rapid bore wear in older guns.

Just about any of the standard pressure, lead bullet loads (Remington, Federal, etc) shoulld be safe for use with a trapdoor. Some of them actually say they are safe for trapdoor Springfields or Cowboy loads. Definitely avoid any loads listed as +P or bear loads, and avoid jacketed bullets as they will cause rapid bore wear in older guns.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Scorch mentioned, andy TD pressure 45-70 ammo should < SHOULD > be OK for a trapdoor. please note, they tend to not like jacketed bullets- they accelerate bore wear, and tend to group poorly.

If you want to make that trapdoor you want to buy to do better than a shotgun you have some research to do. I suggest you start by getting “Loading cartridges for the original 45/70 Springfield rifle and carbine” by JS and Pat Wolf.

Holmes529: I shoot a long barreled Trapdoor, Rolling Block, Sharps, and some 1895 Marlin`s. And I use one load 98% of the time. 35grs of IMR3031 with a LRNFP 405gr bullet. This is a very light starting load 1100fps to 1200fps. But I am getting old and getting more recoil sensitive by the day now. This load will give me full penetration on any thing I have used it on Deer, Pig`s, Elk. I can also shoot it all day long at a Cowboy match or just informal pinking at the range. And not needlessly hurt my shoulder. Like I said I am getting old and can`t take the unnecessary punishment. Good luck to You, and enjoy Your 45-70.
ken

To me, it makes a bit of a difference WHICH trapdoor you're looking at.

I believe there is a difference between an original and a more modern reproduction. Not in the total overall usable strength, but in what ammo should be used.

Smokeless factory ammo, the 405gr @ 1300fps (approx.) is made to be "safe" in all Trapdoors, meaning it does not exceed blackpowder pressures (and speeds).

There are some folks who believe that while "safe" modern smokeless ammo is not "good" for the original rifles. They will only shoot black powder and lead bullets.

It is known that jacketed bullets are hard on the barrels of 1870 era firearms. The old barrel steel is not the same as what is used today and jacketed bullets (though at the correct pressure and speed) cause more wear than lead.

There is also a belief that even though "safe" smokeless loads are within their pressure boundaries, the old rifles are subject to different stresses shooting smokeless than they are shooting black powder, and that difference increases the failure rate or the old guns.

There is no proof, (currently) but some folks believe that, and only shoot black powder in their originals. If I had a gun pushing 150yrs old, I'd stick to black powder, too.

When shooting any Trapdoor, avoid all ammo listed as +p, or for the 1886 Winchester, and do not EVER allow a round loaded for a Ruger single shot, or a converted bolt action to be put in a Trapdoor. They are seriously overpressure for the Trapdoor action. Dangerously so.

If you've got a modern reproduction like an H&R or one of the quality Italian made guns, Remchester standard 405gr jacketed ammo is fine. If you've got a gun made before 1900, the same ammo is safe, but I would consider only using black powder and lead bullets in a gun that old.

Avoid every load made for "lever guns" and absolutely avoid anything made for "modern single shots or bolt actions".

My "new" 1888 Trapdoor just arrived today, and I have a couple of boxes of Steinel ammo ordered...hope it gets here soon! It is specifically marked FOR TRAPDOORS.

I have an original 1873 TD carbine. I load ammo for it. No factory ammo. No smokeless propellants. I use the carbine load....55 grs. of FFg BP a card over the powder and then a filler (I use PuffLon Up to the case mouth). The bullet is a lead 405 gr FN.

Last edited:
Be less worried about pressure* than about bullet diameter. Trapdoor .45-70 bores can measure over 0.465” - no wonder 0.458” jacketed bullets aren’t very accurate in some rifles. Depending on the particular rifle, the only way to get good accuracy may be to cast and size your own bullets to fit your rifle’s dimensions.

*of course high pressure is to be avoided! The safest method is to use black powder - which will also bump up undersized bullets.

Back