Trap vs Skeet barrels

SameShot

:)
I just got this long barrel for my Moss' 500, it has a rail that is almost an inch off the barrel, and angles down towards the muzzle at about 10 degrees. It looks more like a bridge than a ventilated rail. My old "bird" barrel has the normal rail that is about 1/4" off the barrel and parallel.
I think one is "trap" and one is "skeet", but I'm not sure.
What is the intended purpose of this high railed barrel? Can I hunt with it?
What is the dif' between trap and skeet?

Many thanks

------------------
Same Shot, Different Day

It sounds like a trap barrel to me. I've seen several of those types of barrels on the trap range. The length of the barrel makes for a smooth swing and easier "follow through" on the shot, and I imagine the longer sight radius helps, too. Couldn't say what the angle of the high rib is for, but I'm sure someone else can fill us both in.

In trap, the shooter typically stands 16 to 25 yards from the "trap house", from which the clays are launched. There are five positions side by side from which to shoot, and the shooter moves to a different position for each shot. The clay, usually just one, flies away from the shooter at various angles.

In skeet, the shooter fires at two targets each time, one comming from the left, and one from the right. One clay is thrown from a "High House" and the other from a "Low House". There are more shooting positions than there are on a trap range (can't remember how many!), and they're arranged in a semi-circle from one house to the other. The distances for skeet are much shorter than those in trap.

That's the gist of it, and I'm sure there are lots of variations on these themes, but I'll leave that up to other, much more experienced, TFL members.

-boing

More or Less, BOing is right.

The Trap barrel will have the high rib, it encourages you to shoot above and beyond the clay, so that the clay will run into your pattern.

Skeet is a much more "level" and close range shot, require more of a lateral lead, often much more, than a vertical one. Thus, the rib does not need to induce any differential in hieght between the point of aim and the trajectoy of the pattern.

The trap style barrel will likely my an Improved Cylinder or Modified Choke, while the Skeet will be cylinder or "Skeet".

If you decide to try Sproting Clays or 5-Stand, which both represent bird hunting more realistically, you will probably want a Skeet style rib with an Imporoved Cylinder Choke.. or light mod at the tightest, depending on the course.

------------------
-Essayons

Back