Trap in NE Ohio

falconer

Ok, I'm taking an intro to trap shooting class here at Ohio State. Long story short, my evil sociology instructor wouldn't excuse me from class so that I could attend the shoot for my trap class today. The trap instructor said I could just make up the trip on my own time. I'll be going home to the Akron area this weekend and I was wondering if anyone knew of any places to shoot trap in that area. I know the Goodyear Hunting and Fishing club shoots trap at Wingfoot Lake (2 mins from my house) but I don't know if I'd be able to shoot there (my stepfather works for Goodyear but neither of us are members of the club). Any suggestions?

Tom

Try A&A Trap and Skeet. IIRC, it's off of 422 (south side). They hav a very tiny sign indicating the road they are on. I'm not sure of their policy, that is if you have to be a member or not, for the shotgun course as I've only used their rifle range in the back ($8/hr a few years back). As I recall, they have a couple of skeet ranges with trap houses out in the front of them. If they charge steeply or require membership to use their launchers, maybe you can get away with having a friend flinging clay pigeons out instead of using their house.

I shot Sporting Clays a few weeks back the day J&M set up that get together at American (was that the range?). It was at Hill and Dale in Medina. I'm pretty sure its a closed club but if you can get on there, they have a trap range. If you ever get the chance to go Sporting Clays, jump on it. I had a blast, more so than I would have thought.

There is a range in Westlake that is on the road closest to lake Erie (can't remember the name). They shoot out into the lake. Not sure if that is a closed to the public range either.

Ron,
"There is a range in Westlake that is on the road closest to lake Erie (can't remember the name). They shoot out into the lake. Not sure if that is a closed to the public range either."

I believe you're thinking of the Bay Gun club in Bay Vilage. It used to be at the end of Cahoon Road, just West of Dover Center on Lake road. They're closed now and been turned into part of Cahoon Park. I lived about 2 miles from there until '86. My wife and I drove past the old homested a few months ago, and I noticed the club was closed.

There's also North Lawerence down by Massilon. They have open Sporting Clays every Wednesday evening. IIRC, it's $5.00 a shoot for non members.

I believe Broken Lock in Smithville has their sporting clays shoot this Saturday. It's not trap, but it sure is alot of fun. Walk through course, 13 bucks for 50 rounds, 20 bucks for 100. BTW, your Mossy should work great for that game. I used my 1300 Defender and had a really good time with it.

Where is Smithville at? I think Coach Cherry would let it slide if I did sporty instead. I'm around enough with the rifle club and trying out for the pistol team that I seem to be on his good side.

I'm having my stepdad ask the guy in charge of Goodyear's gunclub if any old employee and/or family members can shoot trap up at wingfoot. If that works, I'm set.

If you don't mind driving another 40 minutes west....
They shoot trap and skeet at the Erie County Conservation League every Sunday from noon to 4 pm. It cost $3.50 or $4 for a round of 25 birds, it's open to the public, and they get along with new shooters real well.
They also shoot Tuesday evenings from 6 pm until 9 or 10.

If you are interested, it's about 1 1/4 miles south of SR 2 on SR 250. OR about 1 1/2 miles north of the Ohio Turn Pike on SR 250.

Neil Casper

"I AM my brothers keeper."

PS-My wife is a direct decendent of those Cahoons. nc

Back