Transporting to or in PA

redlightrich

Hello all. Considering a move from NJ to PA. With my NJ fid, I can transport my guns to/from the FFL or the target range. The law is silent on moving, except I need to notify/surrender my fid 5 days after moving.
I have researched, and found that PA appears to be as strict as NJ in regards to NON CCW people moving guns in their "vehicle".

Non CCW in PA can go directly to/from FFL or range. Nothing else.

So how do I legally pack my trunk with my guns and get them from NJ to PA?

I have read here extensively, and it appears that the laws on shipping to myself at my new address are vague? I am speaking specifically about my pistols. Rifles are less daunting.

If I bring my guns to my LGS, and ask them to ship to a PA FFL, do I need to do any paperwork to pick them up?

I didn't want to spend 600-700 dollars to move them 75 miles. However, I will spend money before I will break the law.

I don't believe I can obtain the PA CCW fast enough to be in compliance with both states laws. I have 5 days to surrender my NJ, and it takes at least 10 days to be set up in the PA DMV system ( based on my research)

Any safe ideas for me?

Thank you

To move from NJ to PA, just put your guns in the trunk of your car and go. As long as they're in the trunk and inaccessible to the car occupants, unloaded and separate from ammo, you're OK to transport.

And who says you have to surrender your NJ FID?

"I have researched, and found that PA appears to be as strict as NJ in regards to NON CCW people moving guns in their "vehicle"."

Transporting firearms is covered by federal law, and both NJ & PA virtually mimic federal law concerning transporting guns.

Last edited:
Had no idea that Pa had such restricted gun laws.
Being so close to NJ must have been contaminating.
Maybe you could just move farther south instead.
Then you could carry a loaded gun in the car without any permit.
Just like the criminals already do and have done in NJ.

Exception for moving :

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
<snip>
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
<snip>
(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or <snip>

Hope that helps.

Welcome to PA.

PA is nowhere near as extreme as has been portrayed. Pack 'em in your car and welcome to the freedom of PA.

§ 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
<snip>
(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
<snip>
(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or <snip>

Thank you all. Chuck thanks for the statute quote. It appears this exception will allow me to pack my trunk, and drive it home. I will do it the same way I do now when I go to the range. In a case, locked, and ammo separate and also locked.

Thanks again

Rich

"And who says you have to surrender your NJ FID?"

2nd sojourn, I must have been confused. The card says "if you become a prohibited person, you must surrender your card to the superintendent within 5 days, or it is a crime of the 4th degree".

It is silent on moving. So my guess is my NJ FID is valid as long as I own my home in NJ, although, once I surrender my drivers license to the new state to obtain that state's license, the NJ FID would have little value, however, at that point, I wouldn't need it anymore.

In reading census info, NJ is the most moved out of state as of late. The firearms laws are bad, although, believe it or not, there are worse states than NJ. We still have 15 round mags ( yes, better than 10) we can have neutered AR's, and almost any pistol. Ammo is obtainable. On the other hand may issue ( means won't issue) CCW, no NFA, and one handgun every 30 days?

Maybe it is just too crowded? At any rate, time for me to go to a state that recognizes my constitutional right.

It appears I can simply load my trunk with cased pistols, lock them up tight, make sure they aren't loaded, lock my ammo separately and go to my new home. When I arrive there, get my CCW ( shall issue state) and go about my business and don't look back.

Thank you for the input

Rich

PA is a piece of cake for CCW license. In Montgomery County it was 1/2 hour, $20, and I was done. No test, nada.

PA is easier the NJ, but it does vary between county. Berks county is fairly seamless but I have heard of some counties having waiting periods

I am not familiar with a FID

But in PA you can apply for a non resident LTCF if you have the equivalent from your home state

Or, once your a PA resident you can just get a LTCF and enjoy living in a non communist state [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last I knew, some counties in PA also require letters of reference/recommendation. This is NOT provided for in the statute, but they do it anyway. I can't recall if anyone has been successful in pushing back.

If you're not already a member, I suggest you sign up with the PAFAO right away.

http://forum.pafoa.org/

The simplest approach is to place the guns inside your trunk (unloaded) and store the ammo separately so they are not together. There is no reason that anyone would even know they are there.

Back