Transporting meat

Turk

I live in the east and I'm flying to colorado. I get an elk. So how do I get my meat home? Sure don't want to use air frieght due to the cost. Your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Turk

Carry on?

If you are going through an outfitter, I would talk to them about it. I know some of them cover the cost of shipment. Otherwise, I would get some dry ice, and a 55 gallon cooler as my carry on baggage. Worse comes to worst, I'll give you a few bucks to ship some to my house.

In the past, I've put meat into a large cooler or two. I put a couple of layers of cardboard on top of the meat to keep it from being burned and put dry ice on top of the cardboard. By the time I got home, the meat was frozen solid.
If you're going to fly with it, be sure to securely tape the coolers shut so they won't come open when the airline runs them through the baggage crusher.
Good luck on your hunt.

You might want to check with the airlines before using dry ice. We had to jump through a bunch of hoops when flying food and ice cream offshore if it was packed in dry ice. Something about CO2 in the cabin.

Friend of mine goes fishing in Alaska. Last year he brought home 170 lbs. of salmon. An extra $20 slipped to the freight handler got him through.

This year he brought home 220 lbs. He packed all his stuff in coolers instead of suitcases. Before he came back, he threw away all his old clothes and packed salmon and halibut home.

If you bone out the meat, you shouldn't have more than 300 lbs. Just pack some ice with it. As long as you can keep the temperature in the 30's, it'll be alright for a couple days or so.

Just a heads up I think dry ice is considered Haz Mat for air transport depending on the quantity. With all the security junk going on I would be sure to check prior. Also some issues with CWD these days depending on what part of the state you are hunting in. Good luck on the hunt.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Talked with a guy yesterday that hunts out west and northern Canada. He brings home the meat as luggage wt. depends upon what the airline allows. He has the meat deboned and only brings the best meat home. He said you can't take it as carryon luggage as no aminial parts are allowed.

Thanks again.

Turk

I've taken live lobster back from the E. Coast to W. Coast & brought crab eastwards before. All are packed with frozen blu-ice stuff. Also brought fresh smoked trout back from fishing trips. All have been carry-on luggage.

Are you sure that you can't carry meat on board as long as you are travelling within the USA?

Back