Transporting firearms when moving

Bushwhacker

A discussion just came up at my house:
What is the best way to transport firearms while your moving? Should you say anything if stopped by LEO if firearms are in the moving truck (Ryder or U-haul). Or should you have all of them shipped to new city to a FFL dealer?
I'm talking of 5 to 6 pistols and 4 or 5 rifles,shotguns.
(Not moving anytime soon,but need to know)

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

I guess it depends on where you are. Some of the Back East states are so uncivilized in their gun laws that I'd probably locate an FFL holder locally to ship to. Moving from CA - rapidly becoming uncivilized - to any of several western states-- I'd do essentially the same as I do on hunting trips, pack my rifles in locked cases, handguns in locked or quickly lockable cases, and not burden the officer with unasked for information... ;)

------------------
Shoot carefully, swifter...

Federal Law would indicate that you may transport your weapons, unloaded and encased in the trunk. Ammunition separate.

While some states may still pop you for CCW, it's highly unlikely. Defense is available if it was legal to own the weapon where you were coming from and where you were going to.

I'd prefer to transport my weapons with me. When in posession of multiple firearms, I wouldn't hesitate to lie during a traffic stop if asked if I had any weapons aboard....lying during a traffic stop is not a crime.
YMMV.
Rich

I moved down to Florida back in December, from Kentucky, and I kept my shotgun and PDW with me in the cab of the Ryder truck. I wasn't worried about being stopped because

1. A big ass Ryder Truck towing car on a trailer isn't likely to be pulled over for speeding.

2. Having my GF and 2 dogs in the cab pushes me further down on the "threat meter".

3. I have a valid CCW for KY (which also works in GA and TN).

Personally, I'd rather take the heat of having a loaded firearm in the truck than not have it and need it. If you are moving everything yourself, I'd say that gives you that much more justification (reasonable man?) though this isn't legal advice, yadda yadda yadda.

As per usual, drive safe, and most likely you aren't at any risk. Should you be stopped, be cooperative, but don't volunteer information.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

the Fiream Owners Protection Act of 1995, states that you may leagally transport unloaded firearms from anywhere you may legally possess them to any where else that you may legally possess them without violating any laws of the intersate passage, even though a sate may have proscriptive laws. ( of course Massachusetts and DC think they are above the law )

Back