Transporting ammo across state lines

PSU87

Plenty of info out there on the interstate transport of firearms, but I can't find any info on the transfer of ammunition.

My dad was at Cabela's the other day, and he called me and told me he was picking up a box of Federal AE 5.56 FMJ, 200 rds, on sale. I said, hey grab me a box.

So he will be driving it from Pennsylvania to Florida. Any problems with that? I know some states ban hollow points or frangible ammo, but this is FMJ. Any prohibitions on the number of rounds? Any legal issues at all with driving it across state lines in those quantities? He will not have any firearms in the car.

So he will be driving it from Pennsylvania to Florida. Any problems with that? I know some states ban hollow points or frangible ammo, but this is FMJ. Any prohibitions on the number of rounds? Any legal issues at all with driving it across state lines in those quantities? He will not have any firearms in the car.

No.

Actually, yes.

If his drive takes him through the confines of Washington, DC, it could possibly be a problem.

DC views possession of unregistered ammunition (that's right, you have to register your ammunition) as a felony.

Federal law SHOULD protect your father, but when it comes to DC, all bets are off.

Mike Irwin said:
Federal law SHOULD protect your father, but when it comes to DC, all bets are off.

What Federal law? 18 USC 926A only protects the transportation of firearms, not the transportation of ammunition. :mad: (mad at the law...)

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm

He can also send it to you UPS ground - just mark the outside of the box "Cartridges - Small Arms - ORM-D".

OD15.jpg

But, really, the trip from PA to FL should be no problem at all.

Actually, yes.

If his drive takes him through the confines of Washington, DC, it could possibly be a problem.

DC views possession of unregistered ammunition (that's right, you have to register your ammunition) as a felony.

I-495 and I-95 both stay outside Washington D.C, except for a very short stretch at the southern end of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. If you need a break on the journey take it in VA and save your tour of the capitol for the drive home.

"I-495 and I-95 both stay outside Washington D.C, except for a very short stretch at the southern end of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. If you need a break on the journey take it in VA and save your tour of the capitol for the drive home."

I'm well aware of that, I live in Fairfax.
Problem is, depending on traffic conditions, there are MANY alternate routes that can take one through Washington, DC, proper.

I395, I295, and DC Highway 295, and US Route 50 all pass through DC proper and are important methods of 'getting there from here' when traffic conditions warrant.

Back