Transfers and taxes question

Destructo6

Here's a question on which I need some good input.

I purchased a receiver from an out of state dealer (InterOrdnance) and had it shipped, first to my smith to have it built into a rifle, and now to my local FFL for the standard paperwork, DROS, and whatnot. My local FFL charges $30 for this sort of thing, which is fine by me.

Now, I know that the DROS fee is not taxable, so do I pay sales tax on just the $30 charge from my FFL, or am I required to pay sales tax on the price I paid to InterOrdnance?

It seems to me that paying county/state sales tax for a transaction that occurred out of state (with no local reps from IO) would constitute regulation of interstate trade, which falls under federal jurisdiction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

State of Conneticut Sales Tax Rules.
When an item is used or consumed within
the state, even if the item was purchased in another state, the owner of said item must pay the state of Ct. 6% sales tax on the item. The price of the item includes all
shipping fees to get the item into the state
and any labor or fees charged (such as the
registration paper work fee charged by the ffl dearer to resistrer the rifle in your state.

These are Conn. sales tax laws and may/will NOT apply to your state accordingly.

Your state should have a web site that
covers this topic. Or you could call your state tax revenue collectors and ask.
Use a public pay phone so that they can not caller id you.

Back