transfering gun ownership

kx592

Figured I would post on here just because its been something thats been on the to do list for a bit of time. My father had bought me a shotgun a little while back before I had a firearms card (NJ). I also purchased another shotgun under his name. So, how do I transfer the names of ownership from him to my self?

How does one go about legally purchasing a firearm in someone else's name in New Jersey or anywhere else?

Simple go to an FFL and do the paperwork to effect a transfer... They will be in your name.

I am assuming that what you mean by "you buying in your dad's name" is that he bought the shotgun and gifted it to you?

Since the shotguns were "gifted" to you, you really do not need to do a transfer via an FFL, but if you legally want them in your name then yes.

Yes you understood correct. I may have been the one financially responsible for the weapons but "purchased" under my fathers name. Ok so just have to bring it all to any FFL, got it, thanks

I also purchased another shotgun under his name

I may have been the one financially responsible for the weapons but "purchased" under my fathers name.

If I read these quotes as literally as you've stated them, I believe that you and your dad have run afoul of the law--maybe not so much on the 'my father bought me a shotgun' (can a person be gifted or privately sold a gun without a firearms card in NJ?), but very likely on the 'I also purchased...under his name'---just my thoughts

If I read these quotes as literally as you've stated them, I believe that you and your dad have run afoul of the law--maybe not so much on the 'my father bought me a shotgun' (can a person be gifted or privately sold a gun without a firearms card in NJ?), but very likely on the 'I also purchased...under his name'---just my thoughts

I would tend to agree. The language on Form 4473 seems pretty clear that one party buying a gun for second party, using the second party's money, is a no-no.

Arn't rifels and shot guns exemp under the law? And gifting a rifle or shot gun would only involve the IRS?
No. Providing the money for someone to purchase a firearm is a straw purchase and thus illegal. Other than the federal prohibited person restrictions and transfers to minors, transfers between individuals are controlled by state law. Some states require all firearms transfers to be made through an FFL. Other states have no restrictions on private party transfers and require no paperwork or records be kept. The OP would have to abide by New Jersey laws in the transfer of firearms from his father to himself.

You are correct Don, I missed the (NJ) in the earlier text. I was wondering who all those people were walking around at the gun shows with rifles for sale were. But I do live a little further West of New Jersy and now I see why the Feds did not ok me on a background check for a hand gun. "I can't read".

Back