Transfer title over state lines.

Fairfax9

Inactive
Hello all, first time user here...

My step-mother is trying to go about transfering a Luger into my name from an owner in New Jersey (I'm in Virginia). She has agreed to do the paperwork as long as I tell her where to find it.

Does anyone know where I can find that paperwork and how to get it the gun from state to state?

Thanks

-J

if it's going to you in VA it's got to go via an FFL in your state. you need to find one that will accept the shipment. She must ship it via a common carrier like Fedex or UPS. it cannot go via the USPS. oh and she must declare the shipment is a pistol

When your local FFL receives the pistol they will make you fill out a form.

Just first make sure you contact the FFL and let them know they should be expecting a firearm on your behalf. They may ask for some information.

It needs to be shipped to a dealer in Virginia. Once the dealer has it, he will perform the necessary NICS check (background) and whatever other requirements there are for Virginia.

Before she goes to the local UPS office, advise your stepmother to contact UPS and ask for instructions on shipping a firearm. She will be required to bring it to a regional hub location, as the store front locations (UPS store, Staples, etc.) are forbidden by company policy from accepting firearms to ship. Also, they will not come to her house to pick it up. I know this from experience when I had to ship a pistol to the manufacturer for servicing. It will be required to be shipped overnight with insurance.

For god's sake, make sure she has a NJ FOID before announcing anything about having or shipping a gun. You can't even touch an airgun in NJ without a FOID.

Back