Transfer/Registration of firearms from State to State?

closetgunnut

Morning!

A cousin on my wife's side recently passed away. In his will, he left his entire estate to his sister. Well, he left a bunch of handguns, three rifles and some reloading gear. I'm getting the reloading stuff.

My question is, I would like to buy a couple of the rifles but they are registered in Oh. The problem is I'm in Pa.

What are the Regs/Laws for the transfer of longarms from state to state? Is it a P.I.T.A.?

What about the handguns? Do they have to go through an FFL in Ohio and be mailed to an FFL in Pa?

If you guys, and Gals, need any more info let me know.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks,

That's what I thought but I wanted to make sure.

One more thing, one of the rifles I want is an AK-47. One of my friends (He's a cop in Ohio) said that I might have to get that registered because it's concidered an "Assault weapon". Is that True or False?

FWIW He's been known "to bend the truth" a little in the past. He does have "liar" in the middle of his last name.... imagine that.:)

Tim

1) private interstate sales are technically prohibited by federal law. This is true for long guns and hand guns.

2) out of state sales of long guns from an FFL are OK.

3) Out of state sales of hand guns from an FFL are prohibited. A handgun purchased from an FFL out of state must be transferred to a FFL in your home state for pick up.

4) Enforcing federal laws on interstate transfers to/from individuals is pretty much unenforceable unless one of the parties is trying to set up the other or the transfer is observed by ATF.

5) There are no special federal registration or transfer requirements for "assault weapons" but some states or counties have special rules that may exceed federal requirements.

6) It is a common misconception that guns are/must be registered in their state at purchase. Unless Ohio has some sort of stupid registration process, It probably isn't registered.

Back