Training

Profiler

Inactive
Just curious, do federal law enforcement personnel have acces to federal ranges for training? Of course I know about Quantico, but I'm wondering about major metropolitan areas or even smaller jurisdictions. Does the FBI Havasau range? Only security patrol? I can imagine them not wanting to train with the general public, but just curious.

Thanks,

Profiler :cool:

I can understand why most law enforcement officers don't want to shoot with the general public ~ they're lousy shots!

Most departments have their own ranges, for several reasons. First is that they would be available whenever a training program required it. Second is that they employ courses of fire prohibited on most public ranges.

At the time I was in the Army, military bases opened their Service Club operated ranges to the public on weekends. I don't believe they furnished the ammunition to them, though. We, on active duty, had free ammunition in .22 L.R., .38 Special, .45 ACP, .30 Carbine, and .30 M2, and 12 ga. Shotgun shells.

Bob Wright

Most affiliate with a local PD range. Some use designated areas on public ranges in more remote areas.

Most have a place they use, usually for a fee. Local clubs general don't let LEO use their ranges as they violate most of the club rules (shooting in front of the line at various distances and other positions necessary for quals) and club members don't have access while LEO shoots because of this the range would have to be closed while they do training and quals. You couldn't have civilian and LEO using the same range, imagine having twenty five guys on overtime halt while a guy pins up new paper while sighting in his rifle.

I usually shoot at an older, indoor range. I pay for an annual membership, but it's not a club. It's open to the public to shoot by the hour or half hour.

I have seen FBI, US Coast Guard, CBP, and VA (Veterans Administration, not Virginia) Police using the range for practice.

An indoor range near me allows their local PD some free range time each month. Nearby departments I have been told get discounts for range time.

police in most jurisdictions cannot simply use their department's range when it suits them. they must get permission to use the range, then they must do so only during the times a RSO is there, on that other person's schedule.....

Back