Training with an airsoft pistol

HighValleyRanch

I find it harder to get the range as often as I used to, and with more neighbors that have moved in around my property, I don't shoot my guns here as much as I used to.
This weekend my son and grandson gave me a Umerix Walther P99 airsoft CO2 pistol for fathers day. I'm not into the gaming aspect of it like they want me to be, but I figured that I would try and use it for drills that supplement my usual dry fire type drills that I do with my actual handguns.
The trigger is a long pull DOA, but manageable.
It has gas blowback on the slide and has a realistic clunk when the slide operates, and holds 15 in the magazine.

I set up a 6 inch box at seven yards with paper over the front today and practiced presentation drills and double tap drills focusing on point shooting rather that sight orientation. Thought this would be a good cheap way to practice point shooting.

Focused on follow through, and 5 step presentation, some close retention shooting and after shot drills. While limited, it still have quite some value and is the closest one can get to live practice without having to travel to the range. One CO2 lasts about 50 shots and then starts to fall off, but that's still pretty decent cost for practice.

This afternoon I'm working on a trap box like the old metal pellet target boxes so that I can practice in the shop with it.Still kinda loud enough to be annoying to the neighbors with constant practice.

I have heard that when the shortage of ammo hit, many law enforcement agencies were forced to practice with airsoft as a tool.

If you don't do it, I recommend it. If you do, chime in with what you do in your practice with it.
WaltherP99Airsoft.jpg

We've been using the for a number of years now. Ours are a little different than yours, they are the green gas type. The mags carry the gas as well as the ammo, and the guns work just like the real things. Fit in your gear as well.

We use them for FoF, as well as just overall practice. For inside, I made these up.....

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

They take the same targets I use on the range, and the BB's are stopped by the towel, and drop into a plastic tray at the bottom, so its easy to recover them. If you should miss where the vital zone is, the BB's stick in the foam.

Ive found the guns to be plenty accurate, even when shooting for "groups" inside, and at longer distances than you might think outside. While the guns dont have muzzle blast and recoil, they do have a recoil impulse, and you need to track the sights as the slide cycles, so its more realistic than you might think. I know a lot of people think they are toys, and they can be if you want, but they are certainly more than toys. Everyone will benefit from having one.

I've worn/broke many air guns as a youth and like the motorcycle by the time I hit the street I have never taken a fall. I believe using the air gun is better than dry firing. I use snap-caps primarily to relax the spring(s) of an arm.

With the availability of modern and very realistic air guns, my dry firing has taken a back seat to them.
The input of seeing actual holes in the targets and feeling at least some recoil, airguns are plenty good for keeping up skills when range time isn't possible.
I use the garage and hang multiple targets on the overhead door frame.
Adding cardboard barricades and no shoots adds to the experience.
As does a couple of home made swingers.
Especially since our local ranges no longer allow setting up courses of fire with more than one target.
My handguns are all CO2 powered for the simplicity.
They all provide plenty of excellent trigger time and keep skills sharp.
Airguns can allow for less live fire time and reloading without loss of abilities.
And it's always fun to show friends my new gun and see how long it takes them to realize it's an airgun and not a firearm.

Last edited:
Back