Training for the NY police test

bestbod85

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has taken the police test in NY. Im curiouse in the physical testing that is done... how many push up's, sit up's and any other catagories that I should be focusing on.

also wondering about the police academy, what will they cover, and any special training I can do to prepare for it?

thanks.....brock

Fingers and elbow exercises are important. One for the NY trigger and the other for the approach of the jelly doughnut to the mouth. Other than that you should be good to go.

Have you gone to the NYPD's website? It should answer most of your questions. I've been a cop for six years now and I have found that push-ups, sit-ups, running, stair machines, bicycling and some weight training is more than adequate. If you're carrying some extra pounds try to lose it, but be smart. Alos swimming is a good workout. Hope this is more helpful than the last response.

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/home.html

Took the Test

Don't stress over it. It has to be one of the easiest physical fitness tests I have ever taken. I have taken more challenging PT tests when I was in the service. It's an obstacle course and is given in Staten Island. The hardest part for most people on the test is getting over the chain fence. I finished the course in 3 minutes and I think you are given 5 minutes if I remember correctly. The toughest part to me was dragging the 180 pound dummy about 25 yds because by the time you get to that you are tired if you went hard. If you are worried about staying in shape just run every other day 2 miles and you will be fine.:)

The PT test is fairly easy I am over 40 and have 13+ years and can still make the time limit with time to spare. Take the writen and get through the medical and you should be ok. The rest should be easy just do an light training focous on cardio and strength. Good Luck
Ed
EPR105

Back