Training classes Fort Valley Gun Club Georgia

Edmund Rowe

Some info below on training classes to be held at Fort Valley Gun Club, Georgia (the Western Georgia, not the former Soviet Republic):

NOTE: For information from the horse's mouth on these classes, contact the training organization directly. I can answer some questions, but I'm the middle-man, not the 100% answer man.

Below classes listed in chronological order:

20-21 July 2002
(Saturday-Sunday, 3rd weekend in July)
Defensive Carbine ($200 + 20RF)
William Stringer, www.thewarriorsway.com
Fort Valley Gun club - Fort Valley, GA 09:00-18:00 each day.

This is a basic to intermediate level course. We will be looking at the carbine as a defensive weapon system. Primary goal of this class is to develop a proper firing platform and firing from different positions. We will also be looking at developing transition skills to a side arm. Other topics will include maintenance, proper zeroing, ammo selection, loading & reloading, dealing with site off set, and other topics as time allows. We will be working from contact to 100 yards. Several different target systems will be used along with 3D targets. Class size limited to 10 students. You will need approx. 600 rounds minimum for the carbine and 200 for the handgun.
(text from instructor's website)

9-11 August 2002
(Friday-Saturday-Sunday 2nd weekend in August)
Handgun II,
Randy Cain, www.guntactics.com
The student is required to face complex issues of marksmanship and tactics in this advanced class. Having established a solid base of fundamentals and tactical awareness from the prerequisite program, this course continues to develop and refine the techniques to a deeper level of understanding. The curriculum includes shooting with the non-dominant hand, one handed weapons manipulation, transition to a backup handgun, live-fire tactical simulators, and more in depth team tactics. The ability to function while under conditions of mental stress becomes paramount. A 3-day course.
Ammunition Requirement: 750 Rounds. (text from instructor's website)
$375 tuition, $30 range fees

15-17 November 2002
(Friday-Saturday-Sunday 3rd weekend in November, last weekend before Thanksgiving)
Shotgun I
Randy Cain, www.guntactics.com
Our concept of this ubiquitous and often misunderstood
weapon is entirely devoted to it's use in the antipersonnel
mode. Our training is designed to clarify both the
versatility and the limitations of the weapon. The syllabus
covers tactical manipulation, patterning characteristics,
the mount, deployment in both indoor and outdoor
situations, use of the sling or carry strap, ammunition
selection, night shooting, and transition from shoulder
fired weapon to handgun. For close range lethal confrontations and/or for home defense, we hold this weapon in the highest of regards. (text from instructor's website)
$375 tuition, $30 range fees

Rome is about 150 miles north of Fort Valley. (rough approximation as the crow flies)

As far as highway driving, Rome is about 25-30 miles from I-75, which is then about 40-50 miles to the north side of Atlanta, and from there it's like 100 miles south to exit I-75 and go about 15-20 miles to Fort Valley Gun club.

I'm sure you already know this, but if driving from Rome to Fort Valley is part of any commute plan for class days, Atlanta can add 1-2 hours of rush hour gridlock time to your drive, depending on what time of day it is.

There might be a back highway route that's much easier between Rome and Fort Valley but I can't say with any certainty which way that would be. I know that going down 41 into Marietta and Smyrna is about guaranteed to get you snarled in heavy traffic.

Does that answer your question?

Edmund

Unfortunately it does.

I am actually halfway between Rome and Chattanooga (well, when I'm in Georgia) and am all to familiar with Atlanta traffic. What used to be an easy 1 hour commute into Atlanta, now takes 2 hours or more (sometimes much much more depending on what time you travel)

I do think there is an easier way down. Depending on how far west fort valley is, I can ride on down along the 'Bama line.

Back