Trail cam recommendations?

FoghornLeghorn

I need a trail camera. I know nothing about them.

All I know is that you need the camera, and something to hold it onto a tree.

Do they have solar batteries? Or do you have to keep changing the batteries?

I'd like a camera that can give decent night time images even though hunting after dark is against the law here. I'd just like to know what game is passing through.

Something that also shows the date and time on the image would be good. I'm likely to not get back to it except maybe twice a month.

Weatherproof is good.

What else should I be looking for? Features?

Finally, what camera can you recommend?

thanx

I don't want to pimp for someone/something I haven't fully researched BUT this website was pointed out to me when a similar question was asked on another forum.
www.chasingame.com
I think this is the right one. Lots of technical and actual use information.

Some have options to use solar powered batteries but those extras get expensive. Most use different sizes of "flashlight" batteries but they last for several months unless it gets extremely cold.

The one thing to check out is the "trigger speed" of the camera. That is the time that passes from the instant the motion detector triggers until the camera triggers. A slow trigger speed will provide you a lot of pics of nothing as the game has already passed the camera lens.

The other thing to consider is Price! You will find models from less than $100 up to $300.

I would also you choose a model with IR flash rather than regular flash. It disturbs the game less and also keeps thieves knowing that they were just photographed in the dark.

The last camera I bought was a Primos (about $125) which seems to be working well.

I use Moultrie. Easiest to use and every picture has place, time, date, temp. I used mine last year about 6 months, operates on 6-C cell batteries and after 6 months it was a 40% percent battery life. It is IR for nights and you'll see the deer never know they are being either filmed or pictures taken. It will do small motion clips if you want. Weather and water doesn't affect it and very clear pictures. Cost is about $85.00

Back