Traditions Trapper - first range trip

Vettebeach

Inactive
This was my first time with BP, with a new Traditions pistol. I'm used to smokeless guns; a real noob at this black powder thing.

I had a Blast! (No pun intended). The gun is beautiful, fairly accurate (more my problem than the gun's), and had a lot of "guest" shooters. Lots of noise, lots of smoke, and women and children running for cover. A perfect day....

Only hiccups were some Remington #11 caps that fired but did not ignite the powder. I switched to Winchester magnums and that pretty much solved the problem. It was after about 10 shots, so the firing channel may have gotten crudded up. I was using 20grains (by volume) of triple-7 fffg.

Got a New Army 1858 on order from Cabelas. The madness has started....

I also picked up a new Traditions Trapper a couple of weeks ago. I took it out for the first time last week and found it to be very accurate using 28 grains of Goex FFF. Nice report and smoke too!

Here it is pictured with a Springfield Hawken 1/66 twist

Hawken_TrapperCustom_zpsff392f0d.jpg

I prefer these Old-School guys !!!

About five years ago, I liquidated all of my C&B's and used the money to buy more single-shot pistols. I always take one of them to the range whenever I'm shooting my rifles. I have a range-Kit that accommodates all my M/Ls. They are lots of fun, to shoot. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Must resist buying (another one) getting weaker.......

Resistance is futile! :D

I remember when I bought my first Pietta Remington NMA that it was the only black powder pistol that I'd ever buy. And I was serious. At the time...

I go through my phases where all i will take out to shoot is single shots. They are one heck of a lotta fun, and always generate curiosity at the range. Plus, I have one of those ridiculous long flintlock Tower pistols in .58 that also is a blast to fire shot out of. You just can't have any more fun than that!

Good to here you an others had fun shooting that hand cannon. {Please keep in mind hearing is easily damaged. Especially for groupies that gather around.} With that said. If you think Triple 777 is smokey wait till you try pure Black. You'll think a bad omen fog set down around yaw. And its smell. Well. It ain't like a kitchens is all I can say about that._:eek:~~~:D

Hey! I never tried any of those artificial propellants, always used black powder. I take exception to the comments about its smell. The smell is just this side of heaven to me. Course in the bowling alley I used to sit next to an old Italian fellow who smoked cheap cigars and I thought they smelled homey too.:D

It is what it is !!!

The smell is just this side of heaven to me.
Now that is funny and a stretch. ... :D
It's a total package; the smell, the smoke and the push. I still recall a deer that I shot and had to wait 15-seconds to see if I had made a good shot. It is what it is and when working with black powder, sawing horn/antler as well as some of the glues and solvents, ya just got to suck it up. ... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Back